kohler 26hp efi on my walker mtsd

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jackhammer_34207, Mar 25, 2008.

1. jackhammer_34207

jackhammer_34207 LawnSite Member

hi i have a walker 2002 with a 26 hp efi engine .it seems to be fouling my plug out one plug has lot of black build up the other seems moist.when its running it spits and sputters .i changed the plugs put new filter it it still no luck getting it running better .if anyone has had this problem please please let me no how to fix it cant afford to put in shop thank you and god bless

2. jackhammer_34207

26hp kohler efi fouling plug and spit and sputters one plug has black carbon build up and the other is damp

3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

is the service engine light on?

Most common thing on these go go wrong is the o2 sensors, which will usually read slow, which means the injectors don't callibrate quick enough, so they usually run pig rich.

how many hours are on the engine. Could be normal wear and tear....valve seals.....head gasket......

4. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

Has the ground been fixed at the starter bolt? This was the main problem Kohler has had in the past. They used stainless steel connectors instead of the tinned copper. It will not carry millivolts the computer needs to function accurately. If it hasn't been done, Try soldering new connection on this wire and clean all your grounds.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

JH,

It sounds to me you could have a blown head gasket as tallimeca mentioned, Below is a paste from the manual troubleshooting guide;

I believe you should have a cylinder leak-down test performed and this will show the condition of the rings/valves and head gaskets.

Good Luck

6. jackhammer_34207

no service light comes on it starts and idols fine .2000 hrs on it .seems when im mowing with the blades on it seems to overload and start miss firing .never ran hot

7. duwed

duwed LawnSite Member

Same problem w/my 2000 yr model. Walker backed the problem w/2500 hrs.& out of warranty. One of the replys asked about a grounding problem, that would be it.

8. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

If it's a wet foul it's oil and probably a head gasket.

9. TOOMUCHWALKING

TOOMUCHWALKING LawnSite Member

I have that engine on a 2001 Exmark and it needed a factory update. 1999 Kohler 22 with 26++ hours fouls one side often, so I carry extra plugs and keep swapping and sandblasting them.

10. Jet Mech

Jet Mech LawnSite Member
    from Indy

Jackhammer,

I have had a similar problem in the past with my 26 hp efi KOHLER. It did turn out being the O2 sensor, causing the engine to run rich. This is in turn lead to the spark plugs fouling and engine losing power. Remove the O2 sensor after disconnecting the wire lead. Clean the sensor's "fins" & the fouled spark plugs with brass/stainless steel wire brush & solvent. Re-install the O2 sensor & spark plugs. Upon starting your efi KOHLER engine, let it warm up for a couple of minutes before advancing the throttle above 80%. This has helped my motor perform as normal without fouling the plugs or O2 sensor. This should get you back under way.:usflag: