1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler 27 bogs down

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Soupy, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 52" Hustler Z with a Kohler 27hp engine. It has 750 hours on it. When I get in thick zoysia or crabgrass/fescue mix it bogs down quit a bit. It has never done this before and it is really dry here so it's not like I'm cutting much growth.

I changed the plugs and the old plugs looked grayish black and were dry. My air filter looks fine. The oil gets changed regularly and is at the correct level. I filled both tanks with new gas today and that did not help (I even switched to the tank that was empty before putting in new gas). The only thing I'm doing different these days is running gator blades, but with 27Hp on a 52" cut I should have plenty of power.

It has never given me a powers problems in the past, no matter what I throw at it. I mulch leaves in the fall without a problem.

Any ideas what I can check before taking it to the dealer. It's under warranty but I just can't do without the mower if this could be a simple fix.

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Soupy, good to hear from you, it has been a while since I saw a thread you were involved in. Unfortunately, I cant help you with the mower issue

Dave, formerly from Fairway Lawn Care now Fert-Tek Professional Fertilization Services.
  3. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like you have hit all of the basics that should have been tried. In your post you didn't mention fuel filter. Have you changed this? Does the govenor seem to be doing its job? Does the govenor add throttle when more power is needed? Might want to look over the govenor linkage and make sure it all moves freely and doesn't have something restricting the movement. Also check the throttle to make sure it can move to wide open. Make sure that your choke is fully open when in the off setting.

Eric D
  4. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Not to sound insulting, but you didn't put the blades on upside down???
  5. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

I'd say fuel filter & or govener too!
  6. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

How about an update on your Hustler Z, Kohler 27hp engine issue?

Eric D