kohler 27hp Ch740s Blowing Oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc, Sep 16, 2006.

1. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

Guys, Had one of my kohler 27 hp ch740s kohlers start blowing oil today while mowing. It appears to be coming out around the head on top of the engine but i have not tore into it to see exactly where. I don't have time to fix myself so i am taking it to the shop. Does anyone know if this engine has a history of this. This is the first one i've had trouble with. Engine is on a scag turf tiger with only about 600 hrs on it. I hope it's just a gasket or a line.:cry: :hammerhead:
    thanks

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Headgasket................there have apparantly been lots of failures with kohlers headgaskets.

3. davhul

davhul LawnSite Member
    from Gray,Ga

Mine had that problem.It was coming from the breather plate between the heads, Where the low oil sensor is.The problem was the gasket.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

^^^^^^^^^Ditto, There is a up-dated breather gasket.

5. zero_turn_freak

zero_turn_freak LawnSite Member

DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE IF IT IS BLOWING OIL......with out oil the engine will seize up and is im possible to fix unless rebuilt (i think :(). Basiicly it will cause more problems then it started.