kohler 27hp problem

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by gilatplc, Sep 19, 2007.

1. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I have a lazer 27hp 50" HP with only 113 hours on it and for the majority of this session I have been having to put oil in the mower every 6-8 hour of use for it is burning oil in the cylinders. This ONLY happens on start-ups and fills my enclosed trailer with white smoke (oil smoke and smell) then burner the reaming off for about a minute or two.
    I'm running 10w40 Castro full synthetic ever since 30 hours on the mower.
    I have talked with my dealer and he "states" this is normal to a degree (depending on the hours between filling of the oil) having a mechanical background I know this is not the case and something need to be done!
    I love Exmark and really hate to see this happen at such an early age for a mower but this is unacceptable in my understanding.

Please help,
    Gil

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

gilatplc,

Is your Exmark dealer also a Kohler dealer?

Casey

3. gilatplc

from FL

Yes he is..,,,.,,

4. gilatplc

from FL

bump????????

5. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 27 horse in my Lazer Z 60". Mine will burn oil every once in a while, but not often, and it's usually because i overfilled it with oil. My dealer and the sticker on my mower says only run 10W-30. This might be the problem. Although, since i don't know exactly what those numbers mean, i couldn't tell you.

Best of Luck,

Adam

6. eXmark

gil,

If you could let me know some of the following, I think we can figure this out.

Where are you filling the engine to (reading on the dipstick)?
    How much oil are you needing to add every 6-8 hours?
    How low is it on the 'hatch' line when you add?
    How many times have you changed the oil & filter?
    Do you notice any oil on the engine...especially the crank cover?

Keep in mind, engine mfgr's (and therefor us to) DO NOT RECOMMEND running synthetic oil for the 1st 100-200 hrs (break in period). Doing so can prevent the rings from seating properly. If you do proper maintenance, synthetic oil is simply 'peace of mind', because while it will generally run the engine cooler (reduced friction) it DOESN'T extend the service interval of the oil or filter.

I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
    Lenny

7. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

My 27 horse Kohler just turned 600 hours, and NEVER burns oil. We change oil and filters every 100 hours. At each oil change, we fill it to the top of the "hash marks" on the stick, and at the next change, it is still well within the safe level, not yet to the 'fill' line.
    My guess is your mower sat around (possibly outside) at the dealership you purchased it from, without running for a period of time, and you've got a stuck oil ring. The dealer would never admit it, b/c he'd have a hard time getting it warrantied.

8. gilatplc

from FL

Lenny,

To answer your questions,,
    1,I have always filler my engine right to the line (full line) never offer never under.
    2, I need to add oil (depending on who many time it burring oil and the rate of the burning) on average I need to add every 8-10 hours, it has been less tho on occasion. It gets to add or NO oil at all.
    3,I have recored on my computer (so I don't forget) I change oil every 30-35 hours.
    4, absolutely NO oil leakage from the engine block, heads, gaskets,,,,,,

9. gilatplc

from FL

Lenny, who are things coming?? oil consummation is getting worse, now when the mower is running it is costly admitting a small amount of white smoke along with the original problem?????

Gil

10. eXmark

Gil,

Lenny is out of the office for awhile and won't be able to get to your post. If you could, please call our Service Department @ 1-800-667-5296. A phone call will probably get your questions answered in a more timely manner.

Thanks,
    KC