Kohler 28 EFI

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by puppypaws, Dec 10, 2005.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I would really like to hear the opinions of people that put 100 + hrs. on their 60" Super Z mowers during a cutting season. I am interested in the comparison of the 27 Kohler and the 28 EFI. The points I'm interested in are the problems either big or small with each engine and the comparison of power and fuel usage. I would love to hear from a commercial person that has both engines on a 60" Super Z and operates the mowers himself some of the time, this is the only way to get a true comparison. The 28 EFI's have been out long enough that we should get some very accurate feedback.

Thanks very much,
    Reid

2. Nes-Tech

Nes-Tech LawnSite Member

I Have a contractor who purchased a 28 EFI Super Z 60" in July of this year. This machine runs 7 days a week from sun up to sun down. The last time it was in it had over 600 hrs on it! Other than 1 hydro belt, and 1 idler pulley there has been no problems. The engine is as good on fuel as his Kubota diesels (ZD28) and almost equal in power. He was very skeptical about going to a gas machine but now has no regrets and will be purchasing a second unit in spring with the 66' XR7 deck

3. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

We sold one to a local golf community in August. They use it to mow all of their open lots. 28EFI / 72" Deck... It has to have about 200+ hours now based on how many times they bought filters to do oil changes. We haven't heard from them other than oil filters. They love the machine and plan to buy more.

4. puppypaws

NES-TECH I would love to here how your friend compares the Kubota ZD 28 with the Hustler Super Z he has. I would like his opinion of the pro's and con's of both mowers.

THANKS REID

5. Nes-Tech

Nes-Tech LawnSite Member

As I am a Hustler dealer and not Kubota keep this in mind I'll try to be fair!
    My LCO had 2 ZD28's and A ZD21. Note, He beats these machines 7 days a week!. He puts close to 1000 hrs on a machine per year! The Kubota's were OK for the first year and then had several hydro problems. (This is well known problem with Kubota) He has taken out the gear box on the deck drive several times. I got him into a Hustler this spring, at first he raved about it especially the speed, this is one operator who actually cuts at full speed. The cut was better than the Kubota. Now after a full season the Hustler has proven so far so good, One Hydro belt, One deck idler pulley, one spindle shaft and bearing. Only complaints, rides rough (keep in mind he cuts at full speed more often then not) The deck's anti-scalp wheels can rip up the lawn when zero turning and tend to bend the bolts easily. As far as the 28 EFI engine, it does not have quite the torque a diesel would but it is sufficient and not bad on fuel. (I can get actual liters/hour from him)
    His current fleet is, Hustler Super Z EFI w/60" deck, Kubota 35/60 Front mount (this has a blower for winter snow removal) Hustler 17/48 Walkbehind. He is looking for an additional 2 machines, likely a Hustler 28 EFI 66 XR7 Super Z and possible a Jacobson bat-wing large area mower

6. puppypaws

Nes-Tech thanks for the reply the last two Super Z's I had were the 27 Kohler engines and I just wanted to try the 28 efi so I could see the difference for myself. I ordered the 28 efi with the 66' XR-7 deck and suspension forks a couple of weeks ago, thanks again.

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

My 28 efi has 600 hours and no problems... it is pricey though! 10k Whatever you do, buy a kholer... I love them.