Kohler 28 efi

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mouse, Apr 28, 2008.

1. mouse

mouse LawnSite Member

Brand new mower (country clipper) has the Kohler 28hp efi motor 34 hrs. While mowing today the engine started to miss bad then nearly died, shut off engine thought it was low on fuel turned out it had plenty, tried to restart won't crank clicked like it had a low battery. I then jumped it and brought it home since the shop where I bought it was closed. I decided to check the battery it had 12.4 volts but still would not crank the engine without a jump checked voltage after the engine had started it was in the 13.6 range. Im having a little trouble guesing the cause. Keep in mind that it was running a little rough before I shut it off.

Thanks God bless

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You could do severe damage to some of the efi engines by jumping them. I'm not sure about the 28. Sounds like a bad battery except you said it started missing during use. 12.4 volts isn't good. Putting another battery on it for a while would rule that out.

3. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

A battery should be 12.6V.

4. mouse

mouse LawnSite Member

Turns out it was the voltage regulators ground to the engine cover was loose which ruined the regulator. Also the dealer jumped the battery when I brought it in. The battery was the first thing that they changed which wasn't the problem. Anyway thanks for the replies.
    God bless

5. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

WOW...The dealer should know better than to jump start an EFI engine. That is something you never ever want to do. At least on a Kohler. You may get lucky a few times but one of these times you are going to blow the ECU and there's 300 bucks not covered under warranty. ECU's don't like voltage spikes. Glad it's working correctly now. A loose ground would for sure keep it from charging properly but can't say I've ever seen that damage a regulator. But like I said. Glad it's working now.

6. TOOMUCHWALKING

TOOMUCHWALKING LawnSite Member

I keep reading not to jump the Kohler EFI, but I've done that dozens of times and it's fine. I do, however, let the booster pack recharge on the mower for a while

7. tacoma200

Glad it was an easy fix.

8. mouse

mouse LawnSite Member

These engines have a bosch fuel injection a lot like your cars or trucks you can jump them without harm. If you use a 12v battery and don't start the one you are using to jump with where would a voltage spike come from? 12v mower 12v truck.

9. TOOMUCHWALKING

TOOMUCHWALKING LawnSite Member

Some Harleys have fuel injection-I wonder if this is the same layout ? Makes me wondert if a Harley engine would fit the Lazer Z ?:weightlifter:

10. tacoma200

Kohler advised against it is all I can tell you. There used to be lot's of reports of problems when the 28 first came out after jumping them. I don't have an explanation, just reporting what used to be considered common knowledge. I have no idea if it was true.