1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kohler 30hp vs 28hp-efi - Hustler Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by jcltyson, Mar 28, 2006.

1. jcltyson

jcltyson LawnSite Member

I'm seriously considering a Hustler Super Z - 72" XR-7 deck with flex forks. I noticed in the specs the 30hp & 28hp efi carry the same specs (mainly torque @ 44.8). Can anyone give me both MSRP's for this package with either engine option?
    I know the efi model is higher (don't know how much) but why? The engine combo is 2 hp less with the same torque rating. What gives? Where will the electronic fuel injection payoff and will it pay off for the additional cost?

Thanks.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Super Z, 28HP Kohler EFI / 72" XR7, SUSP seat. SZ28KOHEFI72XR7SSA (928036) $11,699
    Super Z, 30HP Kohler / 72" XR7, SUSP seat SZ30KOH72XR7SSA (928069) $10,749

The EFI is more expensive due to the components / technology.
    The EFI is more fuel efficient and will save you some good money on fuel.
    You will find the EFI to be more responsive and more of a on demand type power band, where the carb model has the power it just is not as quick to deliver it.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just to let you know jcltyson,

The specs for the 30hp Kohler are incorrect. The torque should read 47.1 lb/ft.
    The 30hp Kohler is also a larger engine than the other Kohlers. It is a 747cc engine while the 27 and 28 are 725cc's.

I have yet to demo a 30hp Kohler, but 2.3lb/ft is a LOT more power. The 30hp Kohler Super Z's are cheaper than the EFI's as well.