Kohler Advice

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by firstgrasshopper, Jan 31, 2007.

1. firstgrasshopper

firstgrasshopper LawnSite Member

How many of you are having Oil Useage Issues with your Kohler 27hp .
    Are you getting the run around from Kohler on their warranty?

2. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How old and how many hrs.? How much oil does it use? What machine is it on? I just bought a Lazer Z w/that engine. (so no info. yet)

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

You might consider checking in the mecanic, repair section. I remember this topic being discussed.

4. fastcutter

fastcutter LawnSite Member
    from west tn

I had one on a z and it kept blowing the dip stick out of it and blow oil al over you.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

These are the questions that need to be answered, This will give something to go on.

6. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

Most likely a head gasket, or bad breather reed. Kohler has a two year warranty on the Command engines. When did you purchase this unit?

7. firstgrasshopper

firstgrasshopper LawnSite Member

The Exmark 60" Lazer Z Has about 700 hrs, and is 12 mons old. Kohler saying it is owner neglect, which is totaly untrue. This mower has been serviced religiously every 50 hrs or sooner. They claim they found dirt in the intake, I asked what would happen if the air breathers had never been changed, then I suggested they would just clog not let more dirt through. They are not wanting to admitt problems with their air filtration system. By the way they reccomend service every 250hrs on the Donaldson type. Beware!!!

8. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I don't know what your consumption rate might be, but I do recall from my short 6 year stint in a shop situation that 1 oz./hr was acceptable consumption on Commands, though I don't recall a particular hp engine. That information, as I recall came direct from Kohler tech, as we had experienced the same feedback from commercial cutters. I don't recall for centain on the 1oz/hr, it could have been 1oz./2hrs, Irregardless, there was an expected oil consumption, and at the time it seemed to me to be excessive. For what its worth.

Dutch

9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

If the filter clogged completely the engine would not run. Basically air will find a path way around the clog. If the filter clogs, the air will sneak past whatever seals the filter to the intake. If the air didnt get around the filter the engine would not keep running...

10. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep the pressure on Kohler/Exmark. It seems some companies try to weasel out of any warranty repairs. Have you called the dealer where you bought it? How about Exmark? Exmark # 1-402-223-6300. By the way, who is "they"?