1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler Advise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scott H, Apr 9, 2001.

1. Scott H

Scott H LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone has ever had equipment with a 16HP Kohler Magnum V-Twin engine. I am thinking about buying a used walk-behind with one, but I am not familar with kohlers at all.

If anyone has had one of these, I would appreciate it if you would let me know your feelings about it. Is it reliable and powerful.

2. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

there is no such thing. the kohler magnum was an opposed twin, the kohler command is a v-twin. according to your other post the six year old machine most likely has the magnum.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I know the bigger Commands came out on Choppers in 1994, the 1993 and older Choppers had Magnums. I'm not sure on the smaller Kohlers when it changed nor do I know about what Toro put on back then.
  4. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

just checked, it could be the command. be aware, most people will tell you it is six years old when it might be 8-9
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 14,and a 16 HP magnum kohler,they are both single cylinders.The oppossed is 17 hp I'm pretty sure,and the command V-twin is 17hp also.Kohler makes a Command 16-but it is a single.The magnum 16's run hot,due to being a flathead,but mine is strong,burns no oil,and is stone reliable,It has 3860+ hrs on it,it has had a new rod,piston and rings put in it,and its knocking again,so this time I think Ill short block it,or retrofit it to a briggs Vanguard V twin.