Kohler Air Filter Problem?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by RyanCanMow, Apr 25, 2002.

1. RyanCanMow

RyanCanMow LawnSite Member

I just had a Kohler canister air filter put on my 18hp Lazer HP about 3 days ago. When the engine is in a load (tall grass or uphill) the engine begins choking and blowing black smoke from the exhaust pipe. Before the new filter, I could mow ANYTHING and not have any problems with the engine choking down. One dealer put it on for me and it did this, so I got him to take it off and give me my money back. I then took it to my other dealer, and he said it was that it required a special carburetor adapter for the 18 Kohler. He put it on and the mower still does not perform properly, and it is getting to be a real pain. Does anybody know how to fix this?:mad:
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for the questions. This is something we've recently been hearing.

I talked to Kohler and they recommend a replacement carburetor be installed with the canister air filter kit on some vertical shaft engines that were produced with the standard air filter.

The gentleman I talked to gave me part number 2485328 as the correct replacement for you machine. You should have your dealer double check the Kohler accessory book to determine which carburetor if any will be required.

Thank you

3. chromis

chromis LawnSite Member
    from N.O. LA

I am interested in adding the canister filter to my 18hp as well. Has the problems been eliminated? What is the cost to add this + the carburetor that is required?

4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I too wanted to install the canister filter to my 18 Kohler, but the cost of the filter and replacement carb was a ton of money. l think it was going to be like $450 total. I decided to wait until the 18 died and replace it with a 20.
    I think the dealer should have known this. I think if you would have been told this unfront you would have waited also. See if they will make a deal with you for the carb that is needed to fix the problem.