Kohler Announces New Products & Introduces New President

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

KOHLER INTRODUCES NEW COURAGE® PRO TWIN-CYLINDER MODELS
    TO SERVE LIGHT-COMMERCIAL MARKET

KOHLER, Wis. – October, 2006 – In an attempt to offer an engine suited for the “equipment enthusiasts,” Kohler introduces a new line of small gasoline engines called Courage PRO. Four models in the vertical-shaft, twin-cylinder design will be available to serve the light-commercial market beginning in 2007.
    Available in four models (20, 23, 25 and 27 HP), the vertical-shaft, twin-cylinder KOHLER Courage PRO provides both consumer turf OEMs and light commercial manufacturers, an efficient premium engine with unique, marketable technologies at high horsepower.
    The Courage PRO twin-cylinder models meet or exceed SAE J1940 horsepower requirements. The new twin cylinder models will feature a 725-cc displacement crankcase (the largest displacement twin cylinder engines available), which contributes to stronger engine performance and long-life operation.
    Compared to its consumer line of Courage twin-cylinder engines, the new KOHLER Courage PRO models will feature a 60 percent larger air filter to handle the dirtiest conditions, and a 60 percent larger oil filter to ensure consistent, clean oil. The design does not require any tools or knobs in order to view or remove the air filter. The engine’s major external components, including the air filter, oil filter and dipstick, are all located in easily accessible positions.

KOHLER Courage PRO Twin-Cylinder Engines

More reliable starting and lower vibration have also been accomplished, marking another distinct advantage over other engines used in light-commercial applications.
    Key applications for the new twin-cylinder Courage PRO engine include: heavy-duty lawn tractors and zero-turn radius equipment.
    The entire Courage line exceeds current EPA and CARB emission standards and feature a one-year commercial warranty for owner assurance.

KOHLER Courage PRO 20-23-25-27 HP twin-cylinder, vertical-shaft engine specifications
    · KOHLER Courage PRO 20 (SV810) – The 725cc engine has an 83 mm bore, 67 mm stroke, and 1805”/471 mm (L), 17.8”/451 mm (W), 13.4”/340 mm (H). With a 9:1 compression ratio, it produces 40.9 lbs. ft (54.2 Nm) of peak torque at 2000 rpm.

· KOHLER Courage PRO 23 (SV820) – The 725cc engine has an 83 mm bore, 67 mm stroke, and 19.4”/493 mm (L), 16.4”/417 mm (W), 12.9”/328 mm (H). With a 9:1 compression ratio, it produces 44.9 lbs. ft. (60.9 Nm) of peak torque at 2000 rpm.

· KOHLER Courage PRO 25 (SV830) – The 725cc engine has an 83 mm bore, 67 mm stroke, and 19.4”/493 mm (L), 16.4”/417 mm (W), 12.9”/328 mm (H). With a 9:1 compression ratio, it produces 46.6 lbs. ft. (63.2 Nm) of peak torque at 2000 rpm.

· KOHLER Courage PRO27 (SV840) – The 725cc engine has an 83 mm bore, 67 mm stroke, and 19.4”/493 mm (L), 16.4”/417 mm (W), 12.9”/328 mm (H). With a 9:1 compression ratio, it produces 45.2 (62.3 Nm) of peak torque at 2400 rpm.

A leading manufacturer of utility engines, Kohler Engines is part of the Kohler Global Power Group. The business produces four-cycle engines -- ranging from 4 to 31 horsepower -- under the brand names KOHLER Aegis®, Command PRO®, Command®, and Courage®. All KOHLER engines are backed by a dealer/distributor network that is about 10,000 strong worldwide. To obtain literature, sales and service information, or the names of Kohler distributors and dealers, call 1-800-544-2444, or visit the Kohler Engines web site at KohlerEngines.com.
    Founded in 1873 and headquartered in Kohler, Wis., Kohler Co. is one of America’s oldest and largest privately held companies. Kohler is a global leader in the manufacture of kitchen and bath products, engines and power generation systems, cabinetry, tile and home interiors, and international host to award-winning hospitality and world-class golf destinations.

Kohler Takes Lead in Higher Horsepower Offerings
    New 34, 36 and 38 HP Command PRO® engines also feature
    innovative serviceability

KOHLER, Wis. – October, 2006 – Commercial turf and construction equipment users looking for more power need only look to Kohler, who will add six new models to its Command PRO line in January 2007.

For the commercial turf market, the new 34-, 36- and 38-horsepower gasoline engines will not only provide more power to accommodate today’s larger and more sophisticated riding equipment, but will offer a new design that provides unmatched serviceability and extends maintenance intervals. These new air-cooled, V-twin KOHLER Command PRO models at 999 cc are available in both horizontal- and vertical-shaft configurations and meet the new EPA Tier 3 and CARB emissions requirements.

“Kohler has been innovative with its products to offer our customers an alternate to diesel engines. The Kohler engineering and design team started from a clean sheet in designing these new higher horsepower engines,” said Cam Litt, senior product manager for Kohler. “This extended Command PRO line targeted a true, higher horsepower rating, but we also had the service aspect in mind and designed these new engines to be more user friendly.”

KOHLER Higher Horsepower Engines

The new engines target a range of commercial and industrial applications, including turf mowers, generators and pumps. The basic configuration of the engine is the tried-and-true 90º twin-cylinder, overhead valve design with an electronic ignition system, two-barrel carburetor and mechanical governor. The engine uses an aluminum block with cast-iron cylinder liners, a common feature on such engines intended to promote longer service life and durability. This new gasoline engine really shines with its healthy displacement, 999 cc on a bore and stroke of 83 mm x 69 mm and a dry weight of 130 lbs.
    Building upon its reputation for durable, reliable engines, Kohler introduces several unique and patented features that aim to enhance and extend the engine’s performance.

- Full power capable off both the flywheel and PTO side of the engine

- Top-mounted oil filter features a no-drip oil system, which now only requires changing after 150 hours

- Top-mounted, heavy-duty air filter, with an integrated rain cap

- Front-mounted choke and throttle controls

- Removable, 2-piece cylinder access covers

- Hydraulic valve lifters, to ensure consistent horsepower throughout the full engine life and eliminates the need for valve adjustments

- Unique nylon cam gear design achieves lower sound and vibration levels

- Aluminized muffler to lengthen muffler life and protect against corrosion

- Electro-Magnetic Compatibility (EMC) and Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) compliant

A leading manufacturer of utility engines, Kohler Engines is part of the Kohler Global Power Group. The business produces four-cycle engines -- ranging from 4 to 38 horsepower -- under the brand names KOHLER Courage®, Aegis®, Command PRO®, and Command®. All KOHLER engines are backed by a dealer/distributor network that is 10,000 strong worldwide. To obtain literature, sales and service information, or the names of Kohler distributors and dealers, call 1-800-544-2444, or visit the Kohler Engines web site at KohlerEngines.com.

Founded in 1873 and headquartered in Kohler, Wis., Kohler Co. is one of America’s oldest and largest privately held companies. Kohler is a global leader in the manufacture of kitchen and bath products, engines and power generation systems, cabinetry, tile and home interiors, and international host to award-winning hospitality and world-class golf destinations.

Kohler Engines Names Paul Bartelt President

KOHLER, Wis. – October, 2006 – Paul Bartelt has been appointed President-Engine Business, Kohler Co. Bartelt will lead and manage Kohler Engines worldwide, and drive the organization to achieve its growth objectives. Specifically, Bartelt is responsible for overall performance, and will develop and implement strategies to drive growth in sales, profits, market share and return on capital investments. Bartelt reports to Dick Fotsch, President-Kohler Global Power Group.
    In naming Bartelt, Fotsch said, “Paul brings solid Kohler management experience, a strong track record of driving improvement, and a progressive management style to the Kohler Engine organization.”
    Bartelt joined Kohler Co. in 1999, and has held several leadership positions within the company’s Kitchen and Bath Group. Previously he held operations, quality, engineering and manufacturing engineering positions with John Deere Co., and was an engineering researcher for the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
    Bartelt earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in metallurgical engineering from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and his MBA from the University of Iowa.

Founded in 1873 and headquartered in Kohler, Wis., Kohler Co. is one of America’s oldest and largest privately held companies. Kohler is a global leader in the manufacture of kitchen and bath products; 4-cycle engines up to 38 HP; power generator systems up to 2,800 kW; cabinetry, tile and home interiors; and international host to award-winning hospitality and world-class golf destinations.

2. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

The new twin cylinder models will feature a 725-cc displacement crankcase (the largest displacement twin cylinder engines available),

Just a note here....The next thing you listed in your post talks about a 999-cc engine and Kohler also has a 750-cc engine out there as well.

3. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

so it looks like the 20-27 hp engines are all the same engine but with different carbs....

4. VegetiveSteam

They are similar but not the same. There are bore size differences, ignition differences and the 26hp & 28hp are electronic fuel injected.

5. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

seems like bore is the same for all aside from fuel delivery these engines are all the same just like kawi 19-25hp.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have always been very impressed with Kohler, until recent developments that started a year or two ago, still all my machines run Kohlers first but once they wear out I'm not so sure... I would've gotten the Ztr with a Kohler but I was so put off by the rigmarole I went through to replace my cv15t-41624 earlier that I opted for the Kawasaki, not to mention this is the first time Kawasaki options are now actually cheaper than Kohler, which for as long as I can remember Kawasaki was never cheaper.

Kohler makes (or at least used to make) the kind of engine where I can run it like a race car into the redline, sustaining the abuse and the rpm's indefinitely. I've always compared Kohlers to bmw's in that sense and for a long time I even thought it was a german engine they run so good. My oldest is a solid 20 years old and still runs like a champ, all of mine are performance tuned and like ricers they spit out short white flame bursts out of the exhaust when throttling down, I love these engines and would hate to do without.

To me Kohler has always been this fantastic secret weapon, at least as good as a Kawasaki, for less, even if only a few dollars.
    So, while everyone always drooled themselves stupid all over the Kawasakis I always made off with my Kohler and laughed pretty hard for a long time, maybe it is this bit that's finally coming around to bite me back?

But try and get a 15hp Kohler to replace an older one, first all the model numbers got changed around to where only hours of research reveals that the 41624 became the 41629 which that quickly changed to where neither of those could be found and only the 41582 could be used as a replacement for the CV15t and with minor modifications to the throttle connections as well, now it appears none of them can be found. The question here is, why the stupid model numbers game, I thought at first maybe it was some cute insider trick between mfg's and dealers so as to keep DIY'ers out of the equation, and even thou frustrating I was willing to accept that, but no.

Even thou ALL Kohler engines come with a warranty, dealers around here appear reluctant to service any Kohler on warranty-related work, which isn't to say they're too keen on any such work anyhow, but it's still a complaint when nobody will touch a brand new engine of mine with less than 8 hours on it and I have to tear into it just to find it was some stupid valve nut come loose, try and get the replacement part for it and it's all the same farking rigmarole again, so I just re-used the old part!

To make matters worse, Toro appears to have switched to purely Kawasaki engines, certainly not a bad engine but also not my favorite. However, what strikes me as strange is Toro ran Kohlers almost exclusively for many years, so am I supposed to interpret this as a sign of doom? Dealers here in town give me blank stares when I ask about Kohler engines or they quote me outrageous prices for 'last one in stock,' even mail order warehouses from out of state seem to be running out of them as if they're being phased out, nevermind there appears to be NO 15hp engine as far as I can see thou according to Kohler there's no change.

It gets to the point one stops fighting about it, if this is the trouble I have to go through every time I want my Kohler serviced or replaced then what's the use, great engine or not it's just not worth it. Reply to this post in argument or take this advice as a warning, I haven't a clue as to whether I'll stay with Kohler or switch to Kawasaki but I do know that the way things stand as of now it will be several years before I purchase any engine, maybe if things continue this way I'll take a Briggs just to keep myself from having to deal with these headaches, is this any kind of way to run a business that at least once produced a world-class engine?

7. VegetiveSteam

Next time you are looking to replace a Kohler with a Kohler drop me a line. I may be able to help you with finding the correct spec number you need to get. I do one almost everyday.

Spec numbers change mostly because of manufacturers changing what they are putting on their equipment. They may discontinue a certain mower and hence no longer need that engine. Now that demand is down on that particular spec number Kohler and any other engine manufacturer for that matter may not see the need to continue making that particular engine. If it was a really popular piece of equipment they will continue to make the engine. Look at the John Deere 317 and the Cub Cadet 782 with the Kohler KT-17. There were tons of those tractors sold and Kohler to this day still makes an exact replacement engine for both of them. If anybody needs one they better get it soon because they are just about to go away for ever.

8. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Hello: Ihave a Proline Toro w 18 Koh. #61521. Jacks

is the only one who lists it in their web site.Ed

9. VegetiveSteam

I think a 61557 would work just fine. The crankshaft is about .080 shorter but that shouldn't be a problem. I'm out of town right now and don't have access to my on parts program where I can compare the two spec number but I will post more when I know more.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have no problem with that, from the manufacturer's point of view there is no real incentive to support the end user,
    I understand this. No I don't have to like it but that's just the way it is and if I were in their shoes I would more than likely do the same thing, fine, I accept that.

But what I have difficulty tolerating is one the complete lack of cross-referencing information out there, two is every funny guy jumps all over the bandwagon when I say I'm looking for a spec engine they get all excited because they have one in stock for... You ready?
    Sure, for 1100 to 1300 dollars...
    So I can get my specific engine most anytime, so long I don't mind paying through the nose for what not 3-4 years ago used to sell for $500, and this very problem of mine stems from the fact that by the time I finally found my engine I paid $600 for it and my problem with this is the fact every jerk out there wants to rip me off in this process.

Like "OH yeah I have THAT engine" (insert big secret LMAOFOLOL here).

Then there's this other thing, with the warranty...
    As in, do NOT mail-order an engine if you ever plan on having warranty work done.
    Matter of fact, whoever you bought the engine from, that is who will do the warranty work.
    Which that wouldn't be so bad, in and of itself I understand the dealer's position.
    But then isn't that why we're paying the dealer a thousand plus for a $5-600 engine,
    so in reality we're not getting a warranty, in reality we're paying for TWO engines so
    that if one fouls up they can just give us a new one, right?

Yeah right, now lets put the shroud of secrecy back over this one, but then why not
    sell the cheaper engines without warranty, why mislead the customer is my thing.

On the other hand I guess in ways if things were not like that then
    everybody really would be an Lco and running a business would be easy :p
    I guess I just had to let it out, it's all good, I think.