kohler backfire....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sailinstud420, Apr 25, 2006.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

Quick question,

after runnin my 23 kohler hard for a while, when i back down on the throttle fast it backfires? Any ideas why?

2. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

Cut the motor off when it is running at full speed or 3/4 throttle. I dont remeber why but if you idle it down and then shut it off it back fires.

3. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

if i idle mine down and shut it off right away it backfires but if i idle down and give it four or five minutes of cool down no problem,so me and my guys are in the habbit of giving all the engines cool down periods before shut down.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Do you shut your truck off that way ? It's best to idle for a couple minutes as richallseasons said.

5. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I know it's a different engine, but I had the same problem on a 15hp Kohler last year. I tried letting it cool down idle for a few minutes before shutting it off and that stopped the backfiring. Not long after the backfires started I ended up replacing a faulty ignition module. Not sure if they are directly related or just coincidence. I have heard of backfiring and ignition modules both being common problems with some Kohler engines.

6. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

this is what you do, turn it off at idle and write as it shuts down rev it up high. no backfire.

7. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

We usually make sure that we wait a little bit before we shut it off (after idling down), and more time than not works like a charm.

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, Kohlers are notorious for that. People would duck for cover sometimes when I had to shut mine off in a hurry.:laugh: Just let it idle a little before shutting it down. Longer if it's hot outside or you've been working it pretty hard. Heck, all I run now is Kawasaki liquid cooled's and I even let them idle down before shutting them off to cool them down. Get in the habit of loading the mower and strapping it down, then shut off the motor.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Does an air cooled engine actually cool down if you put it in idle or does it cool better when left wide open? I am guess it is better to leave it at full throttle... I don't want an engine to backfire so I shut all Kohlers down at full throttle....

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have had two 27 hp Kohlers and they both backfired so I talked with the top engine tech for Chesapeake Engines and he said that Kohler air cooled engines need to be switched off at 3/4 to full throttle so that it would get all the gas and fumes burned out before it shut down. I tried mine at 3/4 throttle and it would still backfire so I started switching it off while it was running wide open and it never back fired again.