Kohler blowing oil solved

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 97firebird, Sep 6, 2005.

1. 97firebird

97firebird LawnSite Member

Hey guys, its been hell figuring out why my kohler was still blowing oil out the breather after the rebuild. It turns out that kohler redesigned the breather plate in order for the reed to face upwards as well as maintaining the position of the baffle on the back of the breather plate. When I replaced the plate, it was apparently with the old style, which was originally meant to be mounted with the reed facing downward. I replaced the breather with a new one, faced the reed up with the baffle on the correct side and now it runs beautifully. Of course after getting it running again, I think the oil pump stopped working because a connecting rod bearing siezed and broke my connecting rod....good luck huh? Well, now it looks like a new bottom end or a completely new motor. Anyone have a kohler magnum bottom end or a complete motor for sale?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I just don't know why I kept saying breather problem ! Anyway I was glad you found the problem until you said it blew up.
    A new shortblock from Kohler is part # 82 522 37 and list price is OUCH 1,318.29
    Best of luck

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

That is one expensive short block...

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, I checked a couple discount warehouses and they wanted even more :dizzy:

6. briggsman65

briggsman65 LawnSite Member

I thought I was the only one that...........If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. Sorry to hear about your engine.