Kohler burning oil on left bank

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ealbertson, Jul 25, 2006.

1. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys know what the main reason a 2001 27 hp EFI would burn enough oil on the left side to foul the plugs every two or three hours? It has 2000 hours on it. I don't own it but am thinking of buying it.

Thanks for any help, Ed

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Head gasket?

27hp Kohlers are carbed, not EFI.

2K hours....it's likely at or very near it's expected life.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Doesnt really matter because at 2k you will be buying one soon anyway. FYI a replacement engine for that will be 1500 or so.

4. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

If the engine has been well taken care of and maintained regularly you could see a life of 4000 hours or more. The magic word here is of couse IF.

If it's only fouling one plug it could be a head gasket leaking. If it is a head gasket you typically will see the engine go through roughly a quart of oil in about 8 to 10 hours. Even a worn out engine won't normally go through that much oil. A compression test and even a cylinder leak down test may show everything to be ok. The gasket doesn't normally blow to the outside. It develops a small breach that allows oil to be drawn into the combustion chamber through the push rod area on the intake and power strokes. In most cases you won't even see the engine smoke but you do see that it goes through a lot of oil. If the engine has been well maintained it's worth fixing. If it hasn't then I would stay away from it.

5. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Guys

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, you COULD see 4000 hours out of the engine but what you failed to mention is that everything around that engine will be shot well before 4k hours.

7. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

Fortunately for me he only asked about the engine.