Kohler Canister Air Filter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DieselDeere, May 20, 2003.

1. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

The Kohler Canister Air Filter has an optional guage that tells you when it needs to be cleaned, has any one used this, is it worth $40?
  2. My dealer sold me one of those gages for my canister filter on a 23hp Kawasaki. I just had to have it. Maybe they work on Kohler engines, but mine is WORTHLESS! By the time it shows any load on the gage, the plugs are fouled. It looks cool on the mower though, LOL.

BTW, I got worried about that thing sticking out in front of the filter, and getting ripped off by a low hanging tree branch. So I found another section of bent hose at a auto-parts store and turned the filter around so that gage isn't so exposed.
  3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

The one I have on mine has never worked :rolleyes:
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Same Here!
    Keith How Your Lazer doing?
  5. Bill Boroskey

Bill Boroskey LawnSite Member
    from CT.

Do they make a Donaldson Air filter for the 29 Kawi. and if so does anyone know if it will fit on a Turf Tiger?

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I bought it for my first aftermarket Donaldson, but I wouldn't get it again.

It's just as easy to open the canister and check the filter yourself.
  7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I just picked up a brochure on their products the last time I was in the shop getting some parts. It is more money, limited edition and has some additional design changes.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've had filter minders on a few mowers and vehicles.

My biggest problem is that they are calibrated in such a way that if you follow it you will surely cause more harm than good. By the time the plunger even moves a bit the filter is already too clogged for my liking. You could wrap a shop rag around a filter and put it back in and the gauge would still not read to the red line. :eek:

Checking a filter is where your going to chance introducing dirt past the filter.

While my 14hp Kawi seems to clog up fast, my LC Lazer can go about all season before it requires service. The leaf dust seems to really clog it faster.

As for the 29hp Kawi DFI and its ability to accept a Donaldson......Thats totally up to the mower manufacturer. This is one of many reasons I don't like SCAG's persistance to stick with clearly inadequate OEM filters.
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry about the above post it is clearly not on this topic. I just ignore the gauge and open the canister and check the filter. No I do not think it is worth the money.

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

John, I still have not got it back in for service. I just got the 61" Kees' hydro cooler replaced and the air from the system purged late yesterday evening. So now that I have another ZTR back in working order, I willl try to get the Lazer back to the dealer asap. I am not sure what's wrong with it :confused: