Kohler CH-20S Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowermankevin, Jul 24, 2008.

1. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

I just tore down a Kohler Spec#64697, Family 4KHXS.6242GC with a massive oil leak that appears to be from the front crank seal under the flywheel,what a mess, finally came in to get all the oily dirt specks off me, and I'm wondering if there is a bushing that needs to go in the block before putting in a new seal. I've been through this with automatic transmissions and wonder if it's the same set-up on the Kohlers? I'm going to take an old one apart and look at it to see how it's put together, and hopefully this is set-up the same even tho this is only a 2004 model (1731 hours on it). Hey Restro are you still out there anymore?

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

No bushing, just a seal. Same at pto end.

3. mowermankevin

Hey Big Fish,Appreciate the quick reply, it's way to dang hot to spend time pulling something down if it doesn't need it. Yesterday was 100 plus hurricane Dolly humidity = 105 temp humidity/ index, even warmer today. Man, I love this website!!! Thanks Again, K

4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Kohler has a decent site: kohlerengines.com, click on parts lookup, then log in as a guest. Bingo!!

5. mowermankevin

Roger, Big Fish, Thanks Again, K