Kohler CH 26 EFI Will Not Start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bthornhill, Feb 26, 2013.

1. bthornhill

bthornhill LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I just installed a new long block in my Walker Mower. It's a Kohler CH 26 with EFI. As I was placing the engine back into the frame, the oil temp sensor that is in the Oil Cooler hit the frame and the connector broke off (sensor is still in block). After installing everything and letting the fuel pump cycle through to prime the system, the motor will turn over but will NOT start. Could the bad oil temp sensor keep the motor from starting?? I've read that the engine needs more fuel on cold starts and if sensor is bad, motor will not start. Anybody had experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Well, why not replace that sensor now while you still got the stuff half apart, I know it's frustrating but putting it all back together knowing full well there's something the matter, even if it's minor...

Don't look at me, I've done it, too.

But do it right, then there's less regrets, order up a new sensor and fix it.

Once that's done, chances are it's a bad connection...
    Like a ground cable or something, but fix that sensor first.

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

There are no unimportant parts on an EFI engine...
    If the ECU doesn't sense any oil pressure...it ain't gonna let the engine start...and blow itself up...

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

If the oil wire from the oil sensor is disconnected the engine will still start.
    Your problem is somewhere else. Disconnect your battery and dielectric grease all connections. :waving:

5. bthornhill

from Alabama

Not what I wanted to hear (If the oil wire from the oil sensor is disconnected the engine will still start.)! :) I've verified that spark plugs are firing and It appears to be getting plenty of fuel(fuel spraying out of spark plug hole with spark plug removed and turning engine over). I'm confused and frustrated. Cold the new block have timing issues???

6. bthornhill

from Alabama

I meant " could the new block have timing issues??

7. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure what you mean by fuel spraying out of the spark plug hole because that sounds more like it's flooding...

EFI's, to my understanding, start with NO throttle.
    Does that thing even have a manual choke?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  8. bthornhill

from Alabama

not really "spraying"...just a mist coming out....it's under a good bit of pressure.

No, it does not have a manual choke. I'm assuming the EFI handles cold starts? That's why I'm wondering if bad(or broken in my case) sensor could "fool" the computer system? If engine needs extra fuel (choke) for cold starts (which would be determined by oil temp), and oil temp sensor is not working, maybe it's not getting the extra fuel needed for "cold start"?

9. bthornhill

from Alabama

No takers on this problem?

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

This is correct. An improper or missing signal from any sensor will cause a no start condition. I'm assuming you did a spark check? Incorrect timing on a new long block is extremely unlikely.
    Posted via Mobile Device