Kohler CH 26 EFI Will Not Start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bthornhill, Feb 26, 2013.

1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

2. bthornhill

bthornhill LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Piston Slapper (and a few others) thanks so much for all your sound advice! I finally slowed down and learned to use a VOM. It was a bad neutral safety switch. I hot wired the plug and it fired right up! So, initially it was that the speed sensor was mounted on the wrong cylinder(thanks piston slapper). Apparently, b/t pulling motor out and fixing speed sensor, the neutral switch went bad. Anyway, new long block is purring like a kitten! I still don't understand why shorting the starter would not crank the engine (even with bad neutral switch)..oh well, just need to get a new switch...which will hopefully be cheaper than a new or rebuilding the starter! I do have one other silly question. The new block came with a different oil fill tube and dip stick (it's a screw on type), the old one was just a "push-on". Should oil level be checked by just inserting dip stick or does it need to be screwed in tight?

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Actually...getting within 20 feet might have made troubleshooting a bit easier..

In any case...Another satisfied member...
    Glad I could help...:waving:

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

On the oil level just drop 2 quarts of oil and see where the reading is on your dip stick and Gide your self by that. That engine takes 2 quarts empty.