Kohler CH16s will not start. Fuel issue.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Gulkanariver, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Are you attempting humor?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Lest get back on track and don't derail the topic?:waving:

3. Gulkanariver

Gulkanariver LawnSite Member

It would stop running as soon as it burned all the starting fluid up. Got tired of fooling with it so I put ANOTHER new carb on it today. It started up immediately. I guess the shop that rebuilt the carb didn't know what they were doing.

4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Sorry to hear that...it looks like the only thing that shop was good at...was taking your money..
    I hear there's more than a few of those shops in Alabama...

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Did the shop refund you the money for the bad rebuilt.:waving:

6. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

It is getting harder to find people that understand what makes carbs work...
    Which is really something good to know when you are rebuilding one..
    The cost in finding...and employing qualified technicians...is not a high priority for a lot of shops...
    If they sell you a new carb...the dooboy in the shop can probably bolt it on and make it work...
    Its all about money...your sales are higher when you use $8 hr help and sell new carbs..

7. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

I heard the same dam thing!!!!!!

8. royl

royl LawnSite Member

I'm not sure if this thread is still active.....but I am having a very similar problem on the very same engine. The engine sputters about an hour into use after it warmed up and excess fuel gathers in the bowl outside the carburetor. So much once in fact that it leaked onto the hot engine and caught fire! I must confess, I am not a landscaper and do not have a lawn business however, I have a couple acres to cut every week or so in the spring so it feels like a full time entity....but I digress.....I'm an electrical guy. I asked a fairly seasoned small engine mechanic about this and he mentioned that it could be the ignition coil....Being the electrical guy I am, I thought about this....Ignition coil windings wire is dipped in varnish at the factory...this is to insulate one winding from the next. If the coil is old, there very well may be some of the varnish that cracks due to temperature cycling over a period of time. My tractor is about 13 years old so the ignition coil certainly could be considered old. In any case, when things heat up, they expand...if a few of these windings expand and short out, (not the whole coil...but several windings). The coil can still operate normally when cold but if heated and several windings short it could send a considerably less powerful spark to the plug. This certainly could result in misfiring and excess fuel in the bowl. I have purchased a new coil and I am installing it now (MAJOR PITA on the Cub 2166). I would be happy to share the results if you guys are still interested.

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

A weak coil will not cause excess fuel to build up in a carb float bowl. Apples and oranges. Your problem is most likely a defective and sinking float or a needle valve issue. Either one will allow excess fuel to build up in the bowl and flood out through a vent or into the engine. A proper carb rebuild will likely solve your problems.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. royl

royl LawnSite Member

The carburetor rebuild was step 1 and did not change the behavior in any way. (Yes, I was surprised too) The fuel solenoid was checked, the fuel filter is new, air filter is new and 2 shops had already looked at this and could not solve the problem. This was suggested by a fairly seasoned guy so I would hope he had seen this before he mentioned it....I thought it made sense. So if the solenoid is good, the carb has been rebuilt, there's good higher octane gas, the plug isn't fouled, and this only happens when it heats up what else is left except the ignition coil?