KOHLER CH25S Battery Drain Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by drapersmeadow, Sep 19, 2007.

1. drapersmeadow

drapersmeadow LawnSite Member

Have TORO Z355 w/ CH25S. 2000 model. Running great until few weeks back. Tried to start and battery was low. Tested to find it was not charging. Replaced battery, replaced solenoid 1st though....didn't look at the obvious 1st! :laugh:

Now, started fine 4-6 times, now battery dead again.

Checked fuses. OK
    Cleaned up the ground to motor from battery, jumped, ran for 1 hour. No charge. Figured it might be Regulator or something, so a recommendation here says, start and from full throttle...pull the plug from regulator harness and test the OUTSIDE TERMINALS for AC Volts 28 +- to see if it is Regulator or Stator........

Jumped again. Starts fine during jump and runs fine after jump....
    Pull harness (mounted on case below spark plug w/ leads to regulator and blue lead to starter solenoid) and of course engine stops dead. I assume due to no charge from battery? Broken ground/ circuit.

Stuck on how to diagnose? Appreciate any help.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You are un-plugging the wrong connector, Leave that one and un-plug the connector right on the regulator for AC output testing.

3. drapersmeadow

drapersmeadow LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply...I went to Kohler after posting and found the manual and found troubleshooting area. AH HAH! Will look at it tonight after work. Thanks again....looks like I have to pull the oil cooler cover also though :)

4. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

I've had a lot of Kohler "charging problems" that turned out to be just a bad connection in the three wire plug on the regulator. Check it out.

Scott