Kohler CH25S older

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mrfixit, Feb 13, 2008.

1. mrfixit

mrfixit LawnSite Member
    from PA

Simplicty Soveriegn 7100. I have what appears to be a power issue. When mower deck is engaged and going up hill the tractor boggs down.

Simplicity Sovereign Lawn and Garden Tractor
    tractor Mfg.#1692943. It is a 1997 model
    The deck is a 48" cut and the model # is 1691219
    This tractor has been re-powered with a top of the line Kohler CH25S
    The engine spec# is 68544
    Disp 25?
    Serial Engine#2633815377

I have it in the shop since November and stopped by last week was told that it might be a control unit. Because the engine was running on one cylinder. My question, is it worth the investment?
    My concern, Considering there may be more wrong with cylinder.
    $200 controller plus engine removal.

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

How many hours on engine.

3. mrfixit

mrfixit LawnSite Member
    from PA

Can't say? No hour meter. Came from another tractor before I ended up with the tractor. Looks heavily used.

4. Landrus2

Check your compression. see the difference between both cylinders.

5. mrfixit

mrfixit LawnSite Member
    from PA

If I find the compression different than how much $$ for a rebuild? Assuming it needs a rebuild?

Would it be possible to do it myself? I need to decide if I it is worth the fix?

6. Landrus2

If you never did a rebuilt. itÂ’s asking a little to much just watch your torque settings. watch your ring to cylinder gaps. As far as rebuilt kits with gaskets they going to range from $200 to $250 depends where you buy. If you decide to rebuilt and need help feel free to ask.:drinkup:

7. mrfixit

mrfixit LawnSite Member
    from PA

A few more questions.
    The rebuilt kits you mention, do they include cylinders/heads? Assume gaskets?
    What should I expect to pay someone to do this work? Labor? Parts?

And the controller that was mentioned by my mechanic he says $200/part $600/Labor?

With all this should I just throw in the towel or is there somewhere I can get a reasonible price on a engine?

8. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

kohler recomends not to rebuild the comand engine and even if you did it would cost 600-800 for the parts alone. there are no kits to do this.
    my first question would be did you take it to a kohler dealer? one that has a master mechanic that went to the kohler school? there are leakdown tests that will tell you exactly what is wrong with that engine. and a tester to test coils and the sam (spark advance module) the controler that you speak of.IF that is the problem those things run about 75-85 dollars list price. now the labor is another story it will take 3 hours tops to just remove the engine. if that is how they will go about it.me i just pull the drive shaft off the front then pull the bolts from the shroud of the engine the tip the shroud forward./i can then get to the coils and the wireing to the sam. i still charge the flat rate as all shops will r & r(remove and replace) i think is 5.5 hr so yes the labor is high. then again its a simplicity and everthing is high.

and joe keep on drinking bud lol!

9. mrfixit

mrfixit LawnSite Member
    from PA

Is there anyone interested from Western PA to take on such a project? or where can I find an engine that will work. Horizontal shaft (rear of engine) and exhaust in front.

10. mrfixit

mrfixit LawnSite Member
    from PA

18hp only required not 25