1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler Charging Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Pelican, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Pelican

Pelican LawnSite Member

My Skag SWZ with 20hp Kohler has quit charging. I've started tracing circuits starting at the main fuse and ignition switch, but then my harness disappears under the engine cover. There's an epoxy coated circuit board of some type located over the oil cooler with a 4 pin plug attached, could this be the regulator?

Can anyone give me some direction to avoid tearing the cover off in tracing the charging circuit? Thanks!

2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

The epoxy board is your regulator. You can unplug your connect to check for the AC current from the stator. Locate the two wires that come from the stator and test for AC voltage. If that tests good you can jumper those wires back to the regulator and then test the regulator for DC voltage output. Also once you have located the DC output connection you can reconnect the connector to the regulator, if the the voltage output is ok. Then using the lead wire for DC voltage you can check the amperage output using a amp probe.
  3. Pelican

Pelican LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help. I did your analysis, the stator generates 45 volts AC. I connected these leads to the regulator with the battery lead isolated and the regulator showed a discharge. Does this mean the regulator's shot?
  4. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

If you mean by discharge a negative voltage flow, then regulator should be your problem. If you have another unit you can check to see what the output should be. The normal output should be about 13 to 14 volts.
  5. Pelican

Pelican LawnSite Member

Yes, that's what I meant. I checked with another mechanic today and described our testing procedure, he stated if I have battery voltage at the B+ line, (which I do), then the regulator must be the culprit. I'll pick one up tomorrow and try it. Thanks for your help!
  6. madmusic

madmusic LawnSite Member

I have a new Toro Z500 with 40 hrs on it. Had the same problem with my 20 hp k. I was mowing and the thing shut off. Had to replace the voltage regulator. Dealer said it was a grounding issue. Seems to be fine know.
  7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

NOTE= Kohler type voltage regulators will NOT put out any DC voltage unless they are hooked up to a battery. They need at least 4 to 6 volts going to the (+) output terminal before they will switch on.
  8. The Doctor

The Doctor LawnSite Member
    from Troy,AL

They also won't charge unless they are grounded. On command twins there is a small black wire under one of the screws that hold the regulator on to give it a ground. This ground wire sometimes loses it's connection by becoming loose or getting corroded.
  9. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto. Most of the 20hp kohler charging problems are really problems with the ground wire.