Kohler Chopper Oil???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qualitylawnlc, May 2, 2008.

1. qualitylawnlc

qualitylawnlc LawnSite Member

I have a new Dixie Chopper Zturn with a 23hp Kohler. Kohler recommends Kohler 10w30 but Dixie Chopper recommends Lucas 15w40. I did my 10 hour oil change as recommended by the dealer and used a Kohler filter and the Kohler 10w30 oil. The temps here are generally mid 80's tow low 90's during the heat of summer. Anyone have any opinions?

2. MANOFSTIHL

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

I run Kohler 10w30 in everything I own, including my 99 Chevy Z71 for the last 4 years with over 150,000 miles...

The API standards on their oil are better than most, read the bottle and compare.

Yes it will work fine in your engine, and I have heard good things about the Lucas additives as well. May be the best of both worlds.

I personally prefer castor oils or blends rather than full synthetic, but I'm sure their are many here that would disagree that are also having good results...

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use the Kohler oil, Lucas if you had a Generac. The Lucas 15w40 is also the hydraulic fluid, maybe that was what your dealer was thinking about. Congrats on the new machine!

4. qualitylawnlc

qualitylawnlc LawnSite Member

Thanks. I feel better about using what I did now. My previous mower had a Kaw and required SAE 30. I always used Rotella in it, but sounds like the Kohler oil is the way to go with this one. Didn't think I could go wrong putting Kohler oil in a Kohler engine. I'm thinking about running it in my Ford now, too.