Kohler Coils

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Mar 18, 2003.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I have a machine in the shop right now with some problems. Dealer thought it might be a burnt valve or possibly a coil. It has the 22hp Kohler engine on it.

I asked him roughly what the cost would be to get her running good again and he told me that if it were the coil, parts labor around 125.00.......burnt valve would be higher.

My point is this...........aren't the coils warrantied for life? I've had them changed in that very machine by this same dealer before and it didn't cost a dime!:dizzy:

Before I raise too much cain over this I needed to be sure if I was thinking correctly or did I just get a good break last time.

Should be fixed tomorrow ( I hope ) so I'll check back for responses in the morning.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

HOMER wrote:

My point is this...........aren't the coils warrantied for life? I've had them changed in that very machine by this same dealer before and it didn't cost a dime!

The coils should be covered if the engine was built after 1996 (after 1994 in Cali). EPA requires manufacturers to warranty all emissions equipment for the life of the engine or until the first scheduled replacement. There is no scheduled replacement interval for the coils. When you go to pick up your mower take your engine owners manual and show the warranty to them.

3. HOMER

It's a 97 model so I should be covered.............again.

4. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

There is no "lifetime" emission warranty on any engine out there. Here is a quote from a Kohler engine owners manual in the emission control systems limited warranty. "The engine must be free from defects in materials and workmanship which cause it to fail to conform with U.S. EPA standards for the first two years of engine use from the date of sale to the ultimate purchaser. Kohler Co. must warrant the emission control system on the engine for the period of time listed above, provided there has been no abuse, neglect, or improper maintenance." Unfortunately that is just a two year warranty.

5. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

The coil is part of the electrical ignition system. Why is it considered emission control.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I stand corrected. I guess it would have helped if I had read the entire warranty.

7. HOMER

Good news America,

It turned out to be a intake gasket. $73.00 and $68.00 of that was labor. I felt really lucky. Darn mower runs like a new one! Wonder how long it's been like that?:confused:

I did ask another dealer and he seemed to think it was only 2 years......I don't know............I'm just glad to have Lil' Bit back in the stable with her siblings:D

She's my baby!