Kohler Comand Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ranger351w, Jun 8, 2008.

1. ranger351w

ranger351w LawnSite Member

Good day

I have a 03 25 hp Kohler command pro. I was mowing and it just got sick. It will idle good but under advanced throttle it gets sick and will not wind up and sounds sour. The plug on the left side was black . I swapped right side plug but they are both good and the left starts to blacken. Changed head gasket and ground the valves, no sign of cracks.Still sounds the same. It can be heard loudly through the carb when air cleaner is off under full throttle. Will not come up to speed and sounds almost out of time. Cam problem? It only has 650 hrs on it. Checked ignition and tests good. I perform regular maint and use mobil 1 10w30.:confused:

Any help appreciated.

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

3. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

I don't see why an accelerator pump would only affect one cylinder.

Sounds more of a carb or ignition problem to me.

The other thing that's suspicious when you say noise from carb, could be an air leak somewhere or even an obstruction in the muffler.

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

The accelerator pump is mounted on the carb so in a way, it would be a carb issue.

5. ranger351w

It is a ch730 but I have no spec number as it is in the shop. I am going to go get it as he is doing no good towards the problem. He is just doing a I'll try this thing and I can not afford that. Should have done it myself but have no time.to many lawns to mow. i DO NOT UNDERSTAND JUST A PROBLEM ON LEFT BANK EVEN AFTER THE WORK THAT HAS BEEN DONE.
    what about the compression release?

6. ranger351w

Well now the factory says it is a bad cam. I am not happy with the repair shop as they should have figured there was something else wrong when they pulled the left head and the gasket was good. But they went ahead and pulled the right head also and ground the valves to the tune of $250.00 plus parts and now they want to put a cam in without new lifters???:hammerhead: Bet not!

Not happy with them at all. another $300.00.

Oh well I guess I have gone this far. I don't have time to do it myself.

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Sound like you need to find a repair shop instead of a parts changer shop.

8. ranger351w

I hear ya but then it will start all over again. I don't have the time or money to change to a different parts changer:. I bought a new grasshopper 727K and will keep the old one for a backup,I needed one anyway even though this is the first problem other than a stator last year on this mower. Love those out front grasshoppers! Greatest thing since canned beer.:usflag::cool2:

Thanks for the help guys