Kohler Command 15hp

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by columbiaplower, Apr 1, 2003.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

I have a metro with this engine and it wont start. I think it may need a carb adjustment. I have to keep talking out the plug and cleaning it. I can get it to start but when i touch the choke it cuts off. Gonna try a new plug. Filter is clean.
    Thanks for the help
    -Nick

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Nick,

Thanks for the post.

A new plug would be the first thing I would try. The plug may not be the cause of the problem but it may be adding to it. In either case a new plug won't hurt.

Second I'd make sure I've got fresh gas in it. This time of year we get a lot of calls on units that won't start and it often comes down to old gas.

Third I'd look at the choke linkage where it attaches to the choke butterfly. You can't really see it but you can feel it with you fingers. The 15 Kohler has a tendency to pack dirt around the choke stop where the linkage attaches to the butterfly. Shoot the area real good with carburetor cleaner and blow it out with compressed air. This has been the ONLY consistent issue we've seen with this engine. It's been a good performer.

If that does not cure the problem then I'd say it's time to get it into the dealer.

Thanks

Terry

3. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

terry- I changed the plug and and put fresh gas in it. I got it to the point where it will run at full speed in the choke position.
    ANy ideas? I know ive call and talked to you guys before could you walk me through this on the phone? (I may be able to fix it before it gets that far)
    Thanks
    -Nick

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Nick,

It doesn't really sound like the choke is sticking. It's possible that the throttle linkage/choke linkage needs adjusted. Give me a call at 800-667-5296 and we can walk you through it. You may want to review the throttle/choke linkage adjustment procedure in the set up/assembly section of your operator’s manual as well. The diagrams are extremely beneficial when performing this adjustment.

Thanks

Terry