1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler command 18hp blowing oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bushwoods1, Feb 13, 2003.

1. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 LawnSite Member

I have an older model kohler comand 18 hp unit on my 61' scag Hydro. If I had to guess the engine is from the mid to early 90s. I purchsed this unit used last fall, and don't know the complete history on it.

I have noticed that on occasion there seems to be an accesive amount of oil comming up through the air filter. This does not happen all the time, but I have noticed it on occasion ( of course any amount of oil in the air filter is wrong)

Anyone have any ideas on where I should start to look for the problem? :confused:
  2. Fish

Fish LawnSite Member

Many here will tell you many things, like valve seals or new rings,
    but a bad head gasket will cause you these problems as well.
  3. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

Fish is right, I had a Gravely 260Z that had the same problem about a month ago. The head gasket had blown "a typical Kohler problem" which created excessive crankcase pressure and forced oil past the breather onto the air filter. Also, in some cases to much oil in the sump might give the same symptoms. If you know someone that has a leakdown tester that might help you determine which cylinder is causing the problem. Hope that helps a little.
  4. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 LawnSite Member

Yep that helps, and give me a good starting point. I'll keep ya posted how it goes.