Kohler Command 20.... up and down idle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by shop manager, Aug 5, 2008.

1. shop manager

shop manager LawnSite Member

hey guys... nice site ya got here... I'll be hanging around for awhile, I'm a forum junky... :laugh:

anyway... I have a CH20S that I did rings and heads on... it ran great for about 10 hrs. then the operator ran it really low of gas and now it has a auto revving idle... it's like the governor is bouncing .... if I spray carb cleaner down the pipe, it smooths out and idles up till it burns off then right back to up and down.... I sprayed all my gaskets and intake with cleaner... no change...

any ideas ...? I'm in a bind here....

thanks again...

2. shop manager

update... if I run the choke about half shut it smooths up and runs great...

possibly a fuel pump issue...????

3. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like the slow running jet is partially blocked, try dropping the carb and blow it through, or it could be a gasket carb/block. Try the carb clean and I'm sure it'll be 100%
    Good luck Phil:usflag:

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Uhhh....

I would take some compressed air, maybe some carb cleaner,
    and clean up really good all around the carb and the throttle
    connections where those springs and things hook up.

Might be all it is, some dirt got up in where the governor linkage hooks up on the outside.

5. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Fuel pump on that engine should be a vacuum operated one. Check the hose to the crankcase for clogging and check the vent screen in the pump for dirt and oil on it.

6. shop manager

this was the problem... :clapping:

took the top off and blew the jets, ports and every hole I could find... sprayed some carb cleaner in my eye, knocked over the old oil bucket and ripped my shirt on a tailgate handle on the way to the sink while screaming and clawing at my face like a 7th grade cheerleader.... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

it's fixed and I now know how the carb works.... thanks Phil G.... :drinkup:

7. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: I'd have paid good money to see that. Job well done,:)
    atb Phil