Kohler Command 23 hp Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lakesidecutter, Oct 6, 2007.

1. lakesidecutter

lakesidecutter LawnSite Member

I have a new mower with about 40 hours on the engine. I took it to the shop for its oil change and when I got it back I noticed that there was some oil spray around the filter and on the deck. I figured that the filter just was not seated properly and checked the oil. The oil was still showing good so I ran the machine for about 20 min. When I took it back to the garage I checked the oil again and it appeared fine. Three hours later I returned to find oil on the floor. I cannot tell if the oil is coming from the back of the filter or the area where the oil stud is located. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am going to the dealer this week but I was curious what is behind the filter that would cause the leak. The dip stick still shows about half but I have not run it since the oil in the garage.

2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

I'm reading more kohler related issues than I can stand. I might be buying a craftman mower with the option for a kohler or the briggs.

I might opt for the briggs if I keep reading these problems.... :cry:

hope you solve your problem

:)

3. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I'm willing to bet they spilled a bunch of oil during the oil change and it is still on the mower somewhere. It starts dripping off when you let it sit, and looks like a leak, but it is just residual oil.

4. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

Why did you quote him when you posted? I see alot of people do that on this site. It is totally unecessary and actually wastes bandwidth, driving up the operating costs of the website.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe the filter gasket somehow didn't seal, thou I've never actually seen one not do it, did you check and make sure the oil plug itself was tight?

Beyond that I would definitely have it looked into, this isn't something I would want to hope goes away on its own, if nothing else the cost of a new engine...

Actually I always figured the banner ads do so much worse, hence we quote text because it loads fast, plus it gives everybody more to read. :laugh:

6. Galashiels

Galashiels LawnSite Member

Check to make sure the filter is screwed on tight. I have had problems with filters comming unscrewed and dumping oil over my best lawn! I now wind up the filter tight with the wrench as is has been a known problem for them to come loose.

7. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

When you check the filter make sure the old filter gasket isn't still on there. Sometimes when the filter is changed the old gasket doesn't come the old leaving you with two gaskets.

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

If the filter is tight, check the "stud" that it threads onto. It will have an allen wrench opening in the center of it. Pull the filter off and just check that it's tight. Iv'e had the same problem, sometimes the stud will come loose partly when removing the filter.

I also have had the gasket between the block and the oil cooler adapter plate (same stud holds this all together) get hard and start leaking no matter if the stud was tight or not. Simple and easy fix, just had to buy a new gasket. Repair shop said it's common.

9. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you quoting me? :laugh:

Relax, that's unless you're paying for the bandwidth. I'll pass the hat around if you are. :laugh:

:)