Kohler Command 25 horse

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BufalinoLand, Apr 21, 2001.

1. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

Heres one for you guys or gals who run the kohler 25, it says in the manual that the engine takes 2.1 quarts of oil. But the stick reads high when there is this much in the engine. It came this way from my dealer, and i thought he was crazy for overfilling it. I changed the oil and it reads the same with the recomended 2.1 quarts in it. should i drain it to match the stick????

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

as long as it is not showing excessively over full id stay with the manual.later on

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If the engine blows an excessive amount of oil smoke on startup there is too much oil in it.

4. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

And what did you use to measuse the .1 quart with? :)

I have always put 2 quarts (even) in mine when I change the oil. Shows just a tad over on the stick. Been doing this for 5 yrs. No problems.

Also do you change the filter when you change the oil? That will use a little bit more.

Jim

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i just picked up my new lazer and the dealer said to put 2 quarts in and make sure it reads exactly right on the stick. he said they are very touchy on that.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

My 22 Kohler Command which is supposed to be the same block as the 25 hp and it takes 2 quarts with the filter. Been doing this for 3,252 hours with no internal engine problems.

If I fill it over the full mark, the oil gets bubbles in it like the crank is hitting the oil and then the hydraulic lifters clatter. I keep it at full or less and I have no problems. It also makes a difference if you have the cap screwed in or not too when you check it, how full you get this engine.

My guess is, it will bring it up to the full mark with out it screwed in when putting 2 quarts in it without a filter.

7. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same engine Eric has and I do the same...2 quarts even...By the way has anyone here run synthetic in the kholer yet? How does it work if so and also when running it do you get double the hours? Just wondering..am thinking about using it the next change

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i started using syn mobil 1 10- 30 when i bought my
    18 command . seems alright to me.ill still change oil as before as im mainly interested in getting the engine to last rather than cutting oil change frequency, later on

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

How long is your oil filter? My 97 Dixie had about a 5" long filter, and I continued to use the long type. It then took 2qts and a "smidge", depending on how long I let it drain, and how hot the oil was. Anyway, if you only have a 3" long filter, 2 flat should do it. I always start her up with 2 in it, run it till its hot, shut down and do repeated dipstick checks for the next 15 min till I get it just right. DONT overfill ANY engine!

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

kohlers are very finiky,if you overfill it,even a tad-it will clack like crazy,from the lifters.I just put 2 quarts in mine,and add as i need to from there as i put on the hours.