Kohler Command 25 not charging

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by calvinslawnservices, May 6, 2013.

1. calvinslawnservices

calvinslawnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Hello,

I have a Kohler Command 25 that is not charging the battery when running. I checked the battery and got 12.6 volts and the voltage under load is 12.5. From what I have read its the regulator, the person I bought it from said that they replaced the regulator before I bought it.

Any one have any suggestions on what it could be?

Thanks,
    Calvin

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check for battery voltage on the center wire in the regulator plug with the key in the run position.

If you have voltage un-plug the voltage regulator and put your multimeter on AC volts, Put a test lead on each of the white wires. Start the engine and run at full throttle, You should get 28 or more AC volts.

If lower than 28 volts AC the stator is bad.

If you do get 28 or above AC volts check the ground wire/strap on the voltage regulator for looseness/corrosion,

If stator test OK, Regulator ground is good and there is voltage to the center regulator wire replace the voltage regulator.

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Ya beat me to the biscuits and gravy again....RestroRob....

4. Restrorob

Only cuz I copy/pasted one of my old post..... :waving:

5. calvinslawnservices

Sorry if I sound like an idiot. New to the electrical problems of mowers. *trucewhiteflag*

6. Restrorob

1) Red test lead to center wire on regulator plug, Black test lead to good ground.

2) Yes, Testing AC voltage output.

3) From one of the regulator mounting screws to one of the flywheel cover mounting screws.

7. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member

Check your fuses... Grasshoppers that had Kohler 25s on them had fuses that would burn out and the battery wouldn't charge.

8. calvinslawnservices

Ok so time for an update...

I checked the voltage.
    For center wire to ground, I got 13.00 volts
    From white to white on the regulator i got 47 volts. Which doesn't seem right?
    I checked the grounding strap and it looks good, not loose or any corrosion

One thing I forgot to add. The first thing I did when I got the mower was check the fuses and the one with the violet wire coming in and out was blown and I replaced that.

Could the previous owner, replace the regulator and left the blown fuse and then start the mower up and fry the regulator with the blown fuse?

Thanks,
    Calvin

9. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Was that 47 volts AC...???? That's a bit high....might have a bad stator...

10. billc1004

billc1004 LawnSite Member

There is a fuse for charging !