Kohler Command 25 Problems with Charging Battery

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by G.L. In Ont, Jan 4, 2006.

1. G.L. In Ont

G.L. In Ont LawnSite Member

Hi folks, my mini-skid (Thomas 25G) has a Kohler Command 25.

I am having a problem whereby if I only run the machine for a short time and at low throttle, the battery appears to die and I cannot re-start without a boost. If I run it for longer at higher throttle, the unit will start no problem next time.

Should I only be running it at full-throttle? This is what the mechanic at my dealer advised but I wanted to get some other opinions. When I check the battery with a volt-meter after it won't start, I get 12+ volts.

I use it in the summer for drilling post holes (with my auger-drive attachment), and would like to be able to throttle down if I step off the machine to do some manual digging, then throttle up again after to re-start drilling.

Thanks all, NEW YEARS GREETINGS also from Canada!!

:drinkup:

GL

Any ideas or suggestions please?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing I would suggest is making sure the battery is fully charged then start the unit up and check voltage at the battery at full throttle. It should be between 13.5 and 14.8 if not post back.

3. G.L. In Ont

THANKS!

What should it read if the battery is fully-charged when the unit is off?

I'll go ahead and do that see how it turns out. Not sure what you meant by your last sentence - sorry - can you explain 'post back' please.

Cheers, GL.

4. Restrorob

A fully charged good battery should read 12.5 volts just sitting there (not running) Once running at full throttle the battery voltage should be within the specs. I listed above. If running at full throttle and the battery reads below 13.5 volts let us know and we can tell you what to check next to find out why its reading low and why your battery is going dead. (Thats what I ment by post back)

5. G.L. In Ont

Restorob - am getting 12.45 when powered off and 15.15 at full throttle.

What should I be checking next?

Thanks for your help, G.L.

6. Restrorob

Well, The voltage powered off looks OK but the voltage throttled up looks a little high. It is possible for a battery to hold 12.5 volts just sitting there but when a load is applied (trying to crank the engine) the amperage may be dropping too low, That could account for a slightly higher charge rate when throttled up also. Check by doing this; Run the machine until it acts up (wont start) then put your meter on the battery and check voltage while trying to start the engine. This voltage should not drop below 10 volts, If it does replace the battery. Or you can take the battery out and take it to any auto parts store or shop and have them load test it for you.

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Check the voltage at the battery when you are trying to crank the engine. Then check the voltage at the starter when you are trying to crank the engine. You could have a power fall off some where. Most key switches can not handle the current of the Kohler starter solenoid. The Kohler solenoid pulls 30 amps by its self. The Kohler solenoid by its self pulls as much current as most starters on other engines. When I see this type of problem on a Kohler engine I put a reply at the starter. I have lost count of the key switches I have seen burned up by this.

8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Fixer,
    may I ask what is a reply?

Also, to anyone,
    Why does a 12 volt battery 12.5 volts? And what causes the battery to read higher when the engine is running verses when it is off? Lastly, I assume that the battery would go down in voltage while starting simply from the draw created by the starter?

Sorry for the beginner questions. . .I'm trying to determine if my old Murray rider is charging its battery as well.

9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry, I meant RELAY.
    As to the higher voltage when the engine is running the standard charge voltage for a 12 volt lead-acid battery is 13.8 volts. And yes the voltage will drop when starting that is why I asked to to check the voltage at the battery and and the starter when starting. Lets say you read 10 volts at the battery when starting but read only 7 volts at the starter when starting. That means that you have a power fall off. This can come from loose or corroded wires. Or a bad solenoid.

10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm. . .interesting. Electrical is new to me but I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it. Thanks for the info.