Kohler Command 25 smokes under load HELP

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rmerrell, May 29, 2006.

1. rmerrell

rmerrell LawnSite Member
    from Novi Mi

After having a case tractor for 25 years with a kolher I
    bought another. A husky with a kohler command 25.
    It is just about one year old and smokes when hot under a load.
    It is very repeatable. white smoke, when clutch engaged, always hot,
    and much worse under load. mosquito duster.
    I am thinking a coil is breaking down....but on a brand new tractor?

2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

please read the first thread in this forum, please post the numbers on this engine. meanwhile, white smoke is usually coolant, but this is an air cooled engine. could the smoke be blue which would likely mean oil? is the oil overfilled? are you using lots of oil? plugs fouled? when you get the numbers, a guy named Restrorob should know if theres a problem or recall on this engine. is it still under warranty?

3. rmerrell

rmerrell LawnSite Member
    from Novi Mi

Engine numbers CV306 size 725
    4KHXS.7252GC build date 7/24/2004
    Oil level fine. Went thru 1/2 quart in one season. 30 hours run time.
    White smoke smells like oil. Under warranty for 2 more weeks.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest getting it back to a dealer ASAP and have it checked out, Kohler did have some breather reed and head gasket issues and your dealer should be able to determine the problem and possibly cover it under warranty.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

What you described was exactly what happened to my 1998 25 Kohler. That was the first of much grief. My unit was gone for 2 weeks while the mechanic plodded thru and had problems figuring exactly what happened. Then Kohler took some extra time in getting the parts out. Oh did I mention that I am about 50 miles from the factory?

Yes I always chime in when I hear of a 25HP Kohler problem. My disclaimer is that I like Kohler engines as I own 3 of them but I will never again own a 25. They are boat anchors at best. The verdict on the first repair was rings and a scored cylinder. At least thats what he said in 98. Later came the head gasket and it generally ran bad all in between. Yes they have been building this POS since 97 and its still causing problems. I know there are some dyed in the wool lovers of the motor but I think they are the exception. My suggestion is they paint all 25's lemon yellow. Sorry for my rant but the old wound was scratched.

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

i had trouble with the command and kohler replaced it out with a command pro and i must say it's a great engine.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

One of the main problems is they put an air cooled engine in a lawn tractor and then proceed to enclose it as much as possible. Pull the hood and any other panels off and run it in the air and it will last longer

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

DITTO!!!

Get a little grass buidup in there and your all set to overheat!