Kohler Command 25

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Big Bad Bob, May 27, 2010.

1. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

Hello. I have searched and searched this forum and couldn't find an answer to my specific situation. Not saying it isn't here but after 2 hours of searching, I simply couldn't find it.
    2005 Kohler Command 25, 650 hours, bought the commercial Great Dane ztr used 2 years ago. Was always maintained by dealer and owned by homeowner.
    I was mowing yesterday, hit a bump in the customer's yard, heard a backfire and the engine died. Wouldn't start. Got it to the shop and found a no fuel getting to the carb condition. Checked tubes for oil and determined the fuel pump was bad. Replaced the fuel pump and the engine will now start but will only run with the choke fully closed. It also, sometimes, backfires through the exhaust and dies. I have to wait a few minutes before it will start again, with the choke closed fully of course. Haven't checked the plugs yet but that is my next step. Could it be that something dislodged from the old fuel pump and went into the carb?
    I see where there seems to be a head gasket problem with this brand of engine too. Keeping that in mind.
    Any other ideas?

2. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

Is your engine a CV or CH? Is the fuel pump mechanical or pulse style? I would probably first try gravity feeding some fuel directly to the carb from an auxillary source and see how the engine runs. If it runs fine you know your issue is somewhere between the carb and the fuel tank but that would tell you that the carb and the engine are just fine.
  3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Check your fuses... if you dont have voltage to the fuel solenoid on the carb , it will only run on choke. It should have an audible click when you turn the ignition to the run position.
  4. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

2 20 amp fuses. 1 for charging and 1 for starting. Both under the seat and both melted. And I don't mean just the elements. I mean the plastic on the fuses was expanded and distorted. Maybe it wasn't a backfire that I heard just before it died. It was probably both fuses exploding under the seat. I think I will do a bit of wiring inspection to see if I can find why they failed so catastrophically and suddenly.

Thanks. I now have an extra $50.00 fuel pump for it in stock. :)
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen cheap Taiwan/China fuses melt completely before blowing. But, I have never seen a Buss brand fuse melt.....
  6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Restrorob -- Are you still a dealer for Bad Boy & Dixon ??