kohler command 27 hp oil consumption

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by irishcreek95, Apr 2, 2013.

1. irishcreek95

irishcreek95 LawnSite Member

I have a scag tiger cat with a 27 hp kohler command 27 hp motor with 150 hours on it. It has started using oil. You notice blue smoke on start up but not any other time. I have checked the oil separator and the hose from it. Hose is clean and separator looks clean and you can blow air thru it. Compression is good, any ideas?

2. irishcreek95

To add to my previous post. I have ran engine under load with the hose from the oil separator disconnected from the carb and no oil is in the hose. Also cleaned plugs-they were dirty but not fouled with oil. Next thing to check will be the breather reed.

3. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

CV's will do that at start-up. It's just a little oil puddling. They said they fixed that little annoyance,but I'm not so sure.

4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Need model and spec #...
    It may have been assembled with the old style head gaskets that were notorious for leaking between the oil drainback hole in the gasket and the cylinder..
    Possibly a broken reed valve...but it would be using a lot of oil..

5. irishcreek95

model# cv740-3121l ser# 400680255-1 build date 3/9/2010 hope that helps. Going to check the reed valve tomorrow.

6. ricky86

Why are you ripping apart an engine with 125hrs? But you seem hell bent on doing it. Have fun. By the way, a broken reed or hd gskt would cause continuos smoking, and would show in the breather due to a pressurized crankcase.

7. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

A small breach in the headgasket at the oil drainback hole would continuosly use oil...though it may not be very noticable in the exhaust..slightly fouling the sparkplugs..

When was the purchase date.??? It may still be under warranty...
    At least until you take it apart..:dizzy:

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

This is my exact thoughts as well the head gaskets. My 25hp did the same exact thing. I replaced them with the new style head gasket and no problem since.

Here you can see where mine was leaking

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ricky86

Yeah, I got the impression he was getting smoke at start-up. Which is not that abnormal for a CV series or a new engine. From the looks of the cc, your engine was using oil continuously, and alot of it. The new fire ring gskts are a definite improvement. It's about time.

10. irishcreek95

This mower was bought in 2010 and is out of warranty. I am not in hurry to tear it apart but the adding oil (pint plus) after mowing 2-3 hours on a mower with only 150 hours is a little frustrating. Looking for the obvious things first. I am also having a small oil leak on the right side valve cover. With so few hours and regular oil changes I find it hard to believe it is something worn out.