Kohler Command 27 slung a rod yesterday

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OMG, Nov 2, 2007.

1. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Other than moaning, the purpose in my post is to see what each of you think on the price my dealer gave me.

Short Block installed, assuming heads are ok $1485. 60 day warranty.

New engine installed $2495. 2 year warranty.

Seems like the new engine is the way to go to me.

Comments welcome.

2. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Well, first I would look at what it is installed on, if that piece of equipment is worth it. Second, what does your check book look like? Are you able to do it without too much pain? Third, if it were me and all else checked out, I would go with a new motor as you get new starter, carb and everything else. I would also install it myself to save money, but I understand that some people cant and that is fine. Save your old motor for backup parts that maybe can be used on new motor.

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

However, also remember that if you install it yourself and something isn't right that causes a failure, it will not be warranted since you installed it yourself incorrectly and the failure was caused by a user installation error.

4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

list price of a new engine is around 1800.00 what is it on a walker? that would be the only reason i could see the total price being so high. because the labor to put one in a walker is in the higher range.it should only take 4 hr's max to install it on anything else

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Buy a new engine, put it in yourself. It WILL be warrantied UNLESS you installed it incorrectly which quite frankly I dont understand how one could botch an engine swap but thats just me. Unless its on a walker which is a total PITA to work on apparantly tackle it yourself.

6. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

How many hours were on it when the rod let go? I have a 27 Kohler myself.

7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I lost a 27 last year as well. Price was about the same, and I went with the new engine for $2400 and change. I did not have time to put it on as it was the heat of the season.

I am not overly impressed by the 27 the more I hear such stories. I have a 30 that I have even less faith in.

Good luck

8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a couple of new 27 Kohlers to repower my old Great Dane origional surfers. Simple install, full warranty ( one of them came up with a valve problem within a couple of weeks) Kohler paid my regular mechanic to fix it.

9. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Engine goes on a ZTR.....hour meter is broke.....I'm guessing it had 1600-1800 hours on it.

10. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

That seems kind of steep. Don't know about the 27 but just saw a sale on the 23 for around 600