Kohler Command Carb Question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by oucontractor, Jul 14, 2005.

1. oucontractor

oucontractor LawnSite Member

I have a Sears Craftsman with a 20 HP Command. It will start up easily but die a few seconds later. However, it will run continously with the choke on. I have changed the air filter, fuel filter and cleaned the carb with carb spray. Please advise on what my problem might be?

Rick

2. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

More than likely has some built up (trash) in the carb. You may have to pull it down and really get it clean. do you know the model number of the tractor or engine? i know there are a few Kohlers that have a fuel line that runs behind the base plate to the air filter and i have seen a few of these get pinched a little and you have to choke it to run it.
    Just depends on the model.

3. oucontractor

oucontractor LawnSite Member

The tractor is a 917.272960 and the engine is CV20S type number 65561. Thanks for the help!

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

For some reason I couldn't get the fuel system drawing to download on the Kohler dealer site, Just look behind the air filter base and make sure the fuel line isn't kinked. If not you need to go back into the carb. and recheck the main jet again, Down inside where the fuel cut-off solenoid screws in is the main nozzle, Clean it well also.
    Also make sure the plunger in the solenoid moves freely it could be hanging up and not opening enough to let fuel flow past, You must remove what looks like a adapter from the end of it to check this and also make sure the ports are open on it.

5. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

The cv20 is one of the models that has that hose run behind the air filter base plate. make sure that that is not in any way pinched.

Aside from that, get into the carb and give it a real good cleaning and make sure the fuel shut off is working properly.