Kohler Command CV15 wont turn over

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ToddBoe, Sep 21, 2005.

1. ToddBoe

ToddBoe LawnSite Member

My wife was trying to start our tractor and I think she blew the electric starter. Any way to confirm this, and if so, anyone know of a cheap place online to purchase? thanks.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, First off whats it doing to make you think it's blown ?
    Does it click or anything ?
    There are a few test that can be performed to determine if it is in fact the starter but more info. is needed to figure what test is needed, Like the brand and model number off the tractor. It could be a problem with the tractor and not the starter. The model and spec. numbers off the engine would be helpful also.

3. ToddBoe

ToddBoe LawnSite Member

It is a Scott's tractor, manufactured by Murray, model no 42561x8, the engine is kohler command CV15s. She tried to start it over and over and now when you turn the key, it does absolutely nothing. battery is good, fuse is good. appreciate any help.

4. Restrorob

Ok Todd, Sounds like she may have burnt the solenoid up, Trace the positive battery cable to the solenoid and use a test light or multimeter and check for battery voltage to the smaller wire when the key is turned to the start position. If voltage is present and the solenoid doesn't click it needs replacing. You can test the starter by taking a set of jumper cables and using one lead, Take either color and hook it stright to the positive battery post and just touch the other end to the post on the starter. If the starter is good it will spin the engine over, If it doesn't the starter is bad also.

Btw; Once you get the starter problem repaired you can figure out why it wouldn't start in the first place ;)

5. ToddBoe

ToddBoe LawnSite Member

Thank you so much for the help, I will try it in the morning and let you know.

thanks again

6. ToddBoe

ToddBoe LawnSite Member

Thank you restrorob, it was the solenoid, replaced and it fired right up. What did we do before the internet? Thanks again.

7. Restrorob

Not a problem, I enjoy helping out.
    I guess we took them to the repair shop and paid through the nose, You just saved atleast 50 bucks by doing yourself.
    Take care

8. ToddBoe

ToddBoe LawnSite Member

Another question for you since you were such a help before. My engine (Kohler Command 15hp) always backfires when I shut it off, I have changed air filter, fuel filter and spark plug. Any idea why? Thanks.

9. Restrorob

This has been a on going problem on alot of engines, So OEM's have installed fuel cut-off solenoids in the bottom of carbs. to try to eleminate this and some times it works and sometimes it doesn't. You mite lower your idle speed screw a little and when you finish mowing let the engine idle a minute before you switch it off, This mite do the trick.
    Take care

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Just a thought, I used to run a exmark 60'' with a 25 hp kohler. If shut off at low speed, it would diesel and knock for 20 seconds atleast. Solution: we shut it off just below half throttle, for some reason, this would completely eliminate the backfire and dieseling.