kohler command cv20s on my 20hp exmark tt- one cylinder intermittently quits

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by clydesdale, Sep 28, 2006.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

It intermittently cuts out. THere are times when only one cylinder is working. I can disconnect the plug wire on the opposite side and the motor will stop. There are other times that both will work. It is definitely ingnition. When that cylinder doesnt work the plug doesnt spark at all. So... What do we have here? What should I check? Is it a bad ignition module? is this common? Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It's not as common as Kawasaki's but happens, You need to replace that module and that should solve your problem. Also you can use any business card to set the air gap.

3. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Rob couldnt it also be the coil going bad, or the plug going bad? My kohler use to do it and it was the coil.

4. Restrorob

Kohler calls the coil a ignition module...... Guess it could be a plug but thats the first thing one would change ?

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I would try a plug 1st, cheapest and easiest thing to try. But Rob IS THE MAN :weightlifter: and prob knows best. Hey a knew one for ya Rob

'' Rob Knows Best''

wayne

6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL kidding right? I guess everyone has to make life alittle more difficult.

7. Restrorob

Thanks Wayne :eek: I try anyway......

Naaa, I wouldn't kid around like that. :nono:

But guess we may as well go full bore......

If you have a multimeter you can perform the following test on both "IGNITION MODULES" and make sure the one is bad and the condition of the other. The part number will be on your old coil so match it to the one in the table for proper specs.

[​IMG]

8. clydesdale

I don't think it is the plug, unless the plug can have an intermittent problem. Plus I swapped plugs from one side to the other and it made no difference. Thanks

9. clydesdale

Will that test work even though the problem is intermittent. The cylinder turns on and off intermittently. When it is off, there is no spark. Are there other things I should check? Thanks

10. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

intermittent problems are hard to trace down. perform the test that restrorob posted to give you a basis to start with. it may be out of spec but still working sometimes. i'm with restrorob - module (coil) issue. other than checking the connections to it.