Kohler Command Engine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Teff's Lawn & Snow, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Teff's Lawn & Snow

Teff's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

Anyone using the newer Kohler Command engines (23hp) had any bad luck with them or our you happy with it?

2. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

We have sold quite a few 30hp and no problems yet. Just got a 27hp in the shop today, but it is just trash in the fuel lines.

3. Frontstreetlawns

Frontstreetlawns LawnSite Member

Its on my exmark and ive had no problem, it keeps up on wet grass, the only time it bogs down on me is in the yards that havent been mowed in 2 yrs.... ect.... had it for almost 2 yrs now so i think im at that part were i will really find out

4. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one on an old Exmark, no problems so far. Always check and change oil regularly. :weightlifter:

5. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 23 hp on a 60'' lazer z with 1,400 hours it has held up fine .. i did have to replace a lifter and pushrod other than that its been a good engine ,also its a little under powered at times

6. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

They're a little colder natured, but we've had great success with our 30hp Command Pros.

7. blind04

blind04 LawnSite Member

yeah i have one on my lazer z 60 also, and i gotta say that i have really been happy with it. it works well and gives me no trouble. is a little cold blooded thou.

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Lot of them running around down here. Most common failure down here appears to be the magnets in the flywheels. And that seems to only happen to ones that are starting to get into the 1500+ hour range.

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

no problems with mine.........it has 350 hrs on it,,,,, I know that's not much but wanted to chime in....

Like someone else said,,,it's a little cold in the mornings..... hard start

10. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

wonder why that is going on? i had a few last year with the same problem and its not cheap to fix at that.one broke the block and had to be short blocked.with the new flywheel and stator it was close to a replacment