Kohler command engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by snapper, Aug 4, 2002.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

Since some of you run single cylinder kohler commands, maybe you can help. I was just given a sears mower with this engine on it. I know to get a kohler oil filter, but what brand oil do I use? What spark plug should I use? And does anybody have any trouble telling the oil level on the dipstick? It looks on mine to be a little bit over, but it runs smooth with no smoke. And it doesn't seem to be thinned by gas. Should I just leave it alon till the next oil change? And how much oil does it hold with a new filter. Thanks for all the help, Snapper

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

can you get the model number, that's our starting point

3. snapper

Kohler Command, over head valve, cast iron cylinder liner,automotive type oil filter,hydraulic valve lifters,full pressure lubrication, Family:skh426u1g2rb, model:cv15s,spec no:41526, Displacement(cc)426,serial:2528203214. This should be all the info you need.. Snapper Also is this a good engine? Any problems I should watch for? Do you like the engine? ON EDIT: when I change the oil at the end of the season, would changing to synthetic have any benefits? Have you tried synthetic, and can you tell any differences?

4. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

Those Kohler's are pretty good engines, and if it's OHV, that's a plus. I've never tryed using synthetic oil before, not even once. But that's me, other's have, I'm sure. Good luck:blob3:

5. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

The factory plug number was a Champion RC12YC, use that or an equivalent of another brand. The oil is 10W-30 any good quality brand you would like to use will be fine.

6. snapper

On the carbs that have the solenoid under them, Does it do the same thing an inline cut-off does? In other words, will it keep gas out of the engine if the needle valve sticks open or what not? If not, what exactly does that solenoid do? And is an inline cut off a good idea? I have read a mower bouncing on a trailer can cause the float to let too much gas in, and eventually put gas in the crankcase. I was wondering because I sometimes haul my mowers in a truck. Where would be a good place to buy on inline valve? Thanks again Snapper

7. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

On other engines that have this solenoid that we use(Hustlers with Ford engines), it is used to prevent run-on and backfiring when shuting off the engine.