kohler command lash adjustment

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Eric1, May 18, 2014.

1. Eric1

Eric1 LawnSite Member

Hey, I recently got a fixer upper mower that has a kohler Command cs20 verticle shaft engine on it. This kohler has hydrolic lifters. Whenever I adjust the lash the rocker arms end up falling off when I start it and one of the push rods get bent. Ive never worked with this type of problem on any kind of engine, so sorry if I ask a lot of questions.
    how do you adjust tje lash an engine with hydrolic lifters?
    thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You don't...... Torque the rocker screws down to 100in.lbs. and let it sit 20/30 minutes before cranking, This allows the lifters time to bleed down so the valves don't hit the piston and bend push-rods......

3. Eric1

Eric1 LawnSite Member

The engine didnt start up when I did that. The carburetor flamed out. It kept on backfiring as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Restrorob

Did you replace the bent push-rods ?

Did you leave it sit like I said before trying to start it ?

5. Eric1

Eric1 LawnSite Member

Yeah, it sat overnight, cause I had to recharge the battery. I do replace bent pushrods.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Restrorob

When you did that was it before you had the push-rods fall out or after ?

What was the reason for even fool'n with the valves ?

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Opps I must have got lucky. I adjusted our command 25 (dang head gasket!) like a small block chevy. finger tight until you cant turn the pushrod then a half turn preload. It has been fine for 3 years now :laugh:

Rob you dont happen to have access to hydro gear manuals do you? I need a part number for the o rings on the bypass valve or the whole valve itself. I started a thread on the leaks but it looks like it is on page 2 now.

8. Restrorob

9. Eric1

Eric1 LawnSite Member

I took the head off the engine because the previous owner didnt take care of it at all. He rarely (if ever) changed the oil. Surprisingly, the cylinder didnt have any scratches in it. Ill probably have to replace the rings. I dont have any problem with the pushrods falling out when I tighten the rockers, but it won't start when I tighten them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like you need to get ya a service manual! http://www.kohlerengines.com/manuals/landing.htm