Kohler Command made by Yamaha in Japan?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bilrus61, May 31, 2011.

1. Bilrus61

Bilrus61 LawnSite Member

I know the smaller Kohler Command single cylinder engines are made in Japan by Yamaha. I was looking at the Scag lineup of mowers and I'm drawn to the 52" Tigercat with the 27 HP Kohler command. I've had fantastic service with my Yamaha engines here in ATVs and a golf cart. If the Kohler 27 HP Command engine (or is it moter???.....:) is made by Yamaha in Japan that would really tip the scale for me as far as being comfortable with the engine on it. So anyone out there know for sure? Also anyone know who in Japan makes the B&S Big Blocks?

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i think if yamaha designed them they would be called a yamaha engine.

3. cuttinscott

cuttinscott LawnSite Member

Yamaha did build the CS4, CS6, CS8.5, CS10 And the CS12 for that Wisconson based plumbing company. The best running engine that kohler ever put their name on.

Scott

4. cuttinscott

cuttinscott LawnSite Member

IMO the command twins are no good.... Kohler likes to blame customers for their shortcomings.. The B&S Big Blocks and 3LC's are made by Daihatsu "Toyota" and are serviced in the US by B&S Commercial Dealers.

Scott

5. THG

THG LawnSite Member

I am pretty sure the Vanguard is made by Daihatsu in Japan.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sure, and Ford is really made by Chevrolet but don't tell nobody.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Kohler has been building engines since 1920. They are both a fixture and a engine company.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There are a whole lot of people that think very highly of the Command Twins, myself included. I've made a ton of money with mine.

9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Same here.

Though I very much prefer Kawasaki engines, I have had very good luck so far with Kohler command engines. If that ever changes, you can bet I'll post about it.

10. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

Kohler Command engines are just as good as Kawasaki or Briggs,they all have their little niches that will bite ya.