Kohler Command oil?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Jackman, May 21, 2006.

1. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Bought a new 23 hp Kohler for the Lazer Z, anyway when I pick it up my Exmark dealer gave me 2 quarts of Kohler Command oil and he tells me to do the 1st oil change at 10-20 hours, which I will do,,,,,,,,,,,but my question is whats this Kohler oil, is it any different than Mobil oil? Do I need Kohler oil to do proper maintenance? My last motor always got Mobil oil at 50 hour intervals and puked out at 2,027 hours, I really thought Id get 2,500 hours as a minimum, but I think that the down fall to the motor was the old style air filter and the added dust that the Ultra Vac kicks up when conditions are dry.......

Thanks Jack

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello Jack,

Thank you for taking the time to write in. We appreciate your comments and concerns.

If you take a look in your engine manual, you will see the maintenance schedule that is recommended. If you did not get one with your unit, please contact your dealer so they can get one for you.

We recommend changing the oil and filter after the first 5 hours of operation and every 100 hrs after that.

The oil we would recommend for the engine is a SAE 10W/30 or 40. That will cover temps for -4 F to 100 F.

You are probably correct about the old style air filter and the additional dust created by the Ultra Vac in dry conditions.

Hope this helps you out. If there is anything else we can do to help you out, please be sure to contact us again.

Thank You

Brian

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

10w30 is usual oil for an ohv engine. I would run mobil 1 synthetic in it. Help everything last a long time!

4. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Brian,

I have 25 hours on my new motor using petrolium based oil, I am going run Mobil 1 synthetic after 50 hours.... What would Exmark recommend for oil change intervals?
    Thanks for building such a nice Mower (Lazer Z 60", AS, 23 hp), it sure helps us professionals look professional.......

Jack

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I think Exmark recomends not running synthetic until after 250 hrs but I'm not sure about this. I read it some where, to give the engine a chance to break in fist. I'm sure youv'e probably heard this before though.

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello Jack,

We are glad your happy with your mower. Please change your oil every 100 hours even if you are using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. It is cheap insurance.
    Brian

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I switched mine to M1 at about 100 hours, like I have every other mower I have had for the past 8 years or so. I try to hit the changes at 100-120 hours.

One thing I will say about M1 though, everything I have had "uses" it. It seems to have a real evaporation problem, at least for me. In no more than 70 hours I am having to add oil. It's not just one mower, it's been every one of them. I switched my another mower to M1 at 500 hours after running Havoline 10W30 in it before, and that became the first time it "used" oil. I switched back and the oil use disappeared.

I stood behind M1 for a long time, but I couldn't help but notice that everything I used it in (cars, trucks, mowers) needed oil added between changes. I assumed everything I owned burned oil. My 1995 F150 would need three quarts added in a 3000 mile change. I switched it regular old Chevron, and it shrunk to one quart.

I have not had the "evaporation" problem near as bad with other brands of synthetic. The M1 purists will say that I am nuts. I told people the same thing. I got tired of throwing money down the drain. If you run it and have no evaporative loss, stick with it. But if you do notice oil missing, try something else.

8. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Keith,

I could not agree with you more on the M1. I use it in my old diesel in the winter to improve cold cranking performance. The diesel generally uses 1/2 quart of regular oil in 3000 miles. I will put at least 3 times that amount in when using the M1 in the winter.

If the engine uses a bit of oil, it will use significantly more with M1. If it leaks oil, it will leak more oil with M1.

The other thing I have noticed is the GMC 2500 6L has lifter noise when you first start it and there is M1 in the sump. Switch back to regular oil and there is no lifter noise at startup.

Just my experiences.

deej