1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler command pro 15 question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by grassmedics, Aug 15, 2007.

1. grassmedics

grassmedics LawnSite Member

i noticed there is a clattering noise coming from the engine(it may be normal, but never noticed it before.) i was wondering if the valves can be adjusted? i do know the breather tube was cracked and leaking air so i duct taped it until i get a new one, can that cause it?
  2. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

Your engine has hydraulic lifters - only a very few of these engines with recoil start have an adjustable valve train. Is yours electric and/or recoil start?

The breather hose would not be causing your issue, but was allowing air to enter the engine unfiltered before you taped it up.

Valve noise can be caused by insufficient oil pressure or a bad lifter. However, Kohler also changed the push rods on your engine to prevent them from bleeding the lifters down (hollow to solid push rods). Is the sound more noticeable at start up? What is the serial number of your engine?
  3. grassmedics

grassmedics LawnSite Member

it is a recoil start, i will have to get the serial #