kohler command pro 18

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by scagwildcat, May 19, 2006.

1. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i have a mower i bought new in 03-04, it has been hard to start and goes through oil like a kid goes through a shake on a hot summer day.. its been to the dealer alot!! the last time was this past month, they had it all month, called me, told me it was all set, i go to get it , and it wouldnt start! the guy tells me it was because it was left outside in the rain, he gets it going and it back fires like crazy. so they keep it for two more weeks, i get it back, use it for 6 hours and ran it out of oil, yesterday the same thing, but now it goes through it in less time!!! the weird thing is, it doesnt smoke or leak oil !!
    however it did smoke a little before i brought it to the dealer. what the dealer told me that they did ,was ,compresion test, (ok) leak down test(ok), cleaned the breather, rebuilt the carb, increased the rpms. now by doing this, doesnt it make the motor run lean?? would this cause it to burn oil and not smoke ?? i think it was a trick that they pulled on me.. i spoke to a guy from kohler, and he told me that there is no -way that it can go through oil without smoke/ leads, there is no smoke and no leaks at all... if anyone can help or give me some thing i should look for i would appreciate it.. thanks you!!

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have a enemy thats draining your oil at night :confused: I'm with the Kohler Guy on this one. ;) Post the model and spec. numbers and I will check for any service bulletins.

3. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

model # cv493t spec #27513

4. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

restrorob, i also agree with the guy from kohler, but were is it going?? no-one seems to have a answer on were all this oil is going. if it doesnt smoke, and it has no leaks, how can it use oil? it has me so stumped.. thats why i said i think its because they increased the rpms so much. i dont know weather its worth finding out whats wrong or just go get a new motor and be done with it !! but in another aspect, do i really want to keep giving these people my money without them resolving anything or atleast telling me some sort of answer weather it be the right one or the wrong one lol...

5. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

For starters, how about a crankcase vacuum test, compression test, and leak down test?

6. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

When you say no leaks did you check the lower crankshaft seal below the mower frame ? Are there any wet spots under it after sitting overnight ? Another thought is does it have the correct air filter and does the oil in crankcase smell of gasoline ?

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I believe I would find another shop and get a second opinion on the test they performed and the vacuum test crankshaft mentioned would be a good test to perform also. I really don't think the engine rpm increase has anything to do with it unless they have it set way higher than spec., What weight oil are you running ? As I said earlier something just doesn't sound right and finding somebody that can perform the proper test the proper way will more than likely find the problem.

8. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Hey rob, here's a thought. I had a similar problem with a Datsun B-210 with a 1400 cc engine and it turned out the pcv valve was bad allowing engine to suck the oil out of it but never smoked. Perhaps either there is a problem in the rocker cover or maybe something has clogged the drain holes in rocker area allowing it to suck the oil thru intake .A quick test might be to put a pcv valve into the breather hose from rocker cover and see if it stops oil consumption or just pull rocker cover and inspect it and drain holes. Who knows ?

9. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

the seal is dry, i checked that first, no spots in my garage after sitting all winter, day, night, or weekend, i looked under the mower were the clutch is, and its dry also as far as the air filter, the dealer replaced it and it looks to be like the old one.. its funny that you said check the oil for gas, when it was at the dealer they said that i did have oil in the gas, they rebuilt the carb and cleaned the crank case breather ?

10. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

it does sound like its going to red line, i read my manuals when i buy a new peice of equipment and since new ive been using 10w-30 oil..

I THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR CONCERN AND HELP!! THANK YOU