1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kohler Command Pro Single 15HP Help...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

It's on my Exmark Metro. Mower has less then 100 hours on it, but is a few years old, but the other day I went to start it up and when it gets in to the top half of the throttle it sounds terrible. It was very loud (almost like a helicopter). It sounded like the muffler let loose so I check the exhaust gasket, good, so I went ahead and bougth a new muffler, still same problem. We had pereviously adjusted the valves to 4 and 6 but they were ticking so bad we re set them at 3 and 3, now the ticking is gone but its still loud. Watching the valve springs the exhaust valve isn't opening near as far as the intake. I'm thinking I might have a problem with the Exhaust valve not sealing off. Also the machine lost power now in the top end. Any advice?

2. Fisher40037

Fisher40037 LawnSite Member

It sounds like you are saying that the valve/spring height is not the same, so it would be likely that a valve seat has come loose. Kohler recomends
    head replacement, but others could fix it.

Fish

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Did you hold down on the rockers as stated below when you adjusted ?

Also, Are you using 10W30 oil in this engine ?

[​IMG]

4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

I pulled the head off today and sure enough the exhaust valve isn't sealing off 100%. I tore it apart and took it to a buddy who has a performance machine shop to have him grind the valve and the head. The vlave wasn't bent so I'm still not sure why this happened.

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Got the head back yesterday and put it all back together today and I still have the same problem. Valves are set right, so now I am a little stumped. I don't know if there's a problem with the camshaft, or a rocker, or?????