Kohler command pro.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JPL, Jul 9, 2008.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If this is a one cyclinder Kohler the float is plastic so no adjustment. But like I said they leak after around 12 months. If they leak gas into the crankcase that would be really bad. I have seen that but usually the symptom is the cyclinder is locked due to gas in it.

2. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Let's see, what can I say about these ol' beasts, it doesn't get any simpler,these are as basic as it gets. First, most are gravity fed fuel, used to be decals that said,"Before transporting,shut off fuel" still wise today, with the tank above the carb, the amount of hydraulic shock to the float/needle and seat causes fuel to flood the intake (and hence dilute oil) and then there real problems, the guys start up the engines, they smoke a little bit and then can lock up due to dilution. I have continued to put these engines back on rebuild mid size walk behinds because of their reliability, some are 9 years old and only have 65 pounds of compression and should'nt even start, let alone run, I keep telling the owners, your going to have to replace this engine, but untill it quits they just keep running 'em, these are workhorses, and when the carb/throttlestem wallows out I take it apart and put faucet washers on it and slap'em back together and send 'em out the door,these are great 'ol engines IMO.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I also say the 15hp Kohler is my favorite engine, both my main mowers have it.

If oil was leaking past the rings you would have more problems than just low oil... For one the lack of compression ought to be noticeable, but what you should be seeing is the oil turning black in no time at all (way before the next due oil change).

And I know you said it's burning it...

But I would carefully check everywhere for leaks.
    Just so that has been covered, hate to see someone assuming the worst then it turns out it's something silly.

4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

kohler warns useing synthetic oil during the break in period. i tell all my customers this and have seen the bad results- an engine that burns oil well before its time for that to happen.then the crying begins.

5. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

Not to pick a fight here, but I am a kohler certified tech and have never heard any mention of not using synthetic oil in them. I understand what you are saying about break-in time, However Lots of new cars are coming to the showroom florr with Synthetics in them. Vettes, lots of BMW, MB etc. Synthetic oils have evolved lots in the last few years. You have to really follow the industry to keep up as these oils evolve. If you are running a shop I would suggest checking into a publication called lubes-n-greases. It is a free subscription and I have found it very useful lately in keeping up with what is going on.

6. sawman65

page 5 of ANY comand twin OWNERS MANUAL tells you not to use it for the first 50 hr's.
    when it comes to oil i use the engine makers specs. they made it did the testing so they are who i listen to. not some one trying to sell me oil.

7. sawman65

Oil Type
    Use high quality detergent oil of API (American
    Petroleum Institute) service class SG, SH, SJ, or
    higher. Select the viscosity based on the air
    temperature at the time of operation as shown in the
    following table.
    Figure 3. Viscosity Grades Table.
    NOTE: Using other than service class SG, SH, SJ or
    higher oil or extending oil change intervals
    longer than recommended can cause engine
    damage.
    NOTE: Synthetic oils meeting the listed
    classifications may be used with oil changes
    performed at the recommended intervals.
    However to allow piston rings to properly
    seat, a new or rebuilt engine should be
    operated for at least 50 hours using standard
    petroleum based oil before switching to
    synthetic oil.
    A logo or symbol on oil containers identifies the API
    service class and SAE viscosity grade. See Figure 4.
    Figure 4. Oil Container Logo.
    *Use of synthetic oil having 5W-20 or 5W-30 rating is
    acceptable, up to 4°C (40°F).
    **Synthetic oils will provide better starting in extreme

8. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, I understand the break-in concerns.