1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler Command RPM adjustment

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Southland, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Southland

Southland LawnSite Member

I have a 52' Lazer HP with a 23 HP Kohler. Lately I've noticed that the RPM'S don't seem as high as they once were. The throttle linkage has always been a sore spot since I have to push the throttle almost to it's stop before the engine will begin revving. Since my dealer is nearly forty miles from me, I'm wondering if I can make the adjustment and if so where is the adjustment at. The owners manual doesn't cover this adjustment. Although I haven't checked the rpm's with a tach, I feel that I'm much lower than the 3600 mark by quite a bit.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The engine rpm's may have slipped however you really should have the engine tached before proceeding.

I checked with Kohler and they would prefer that if you can't take the mower to your nearest Exmark dealer then at least take it to your nearest authorized Kohler dealer.

History would show that their concerns are well founded. If you set it too high the engine over revs and you can cause damage. If you set it too low it may not allow the mower to perform properly. It gets even more complicated when making the governor adjustments. If you go the wrong way it gets really low on power. If you go too far the other way the engine again can over rev or the governor can be kicking in too often causing vibration cycles that can create other issues with the mower.

I would recommend that you have your unit inspected by a qualified tech in your area.