Kohler Command Valve Clearance

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Scagmower48, May 31, 2008.

1. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a scag mower with a 14 H.P. Kohler Command. The mower lacks power. There is only 50 lbs. of compression but inspection of the head and valves found no evidence of worn or defective parts. Upon checking the valve/rocker assemblies there appears to be no clearance. Is the "no clearance" normal for this engine? If not what is the proper clearance?

2. Scagmower48

bump, i have all day to work on it tommorrow, and if I can't get it fixed im off to the scag dealer on monday for a new one!

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to kohlers website to make sure but I believe it should be .003. I had the same problem (lack of power) but mine was also fluttering loudly, turned out the exhaust lobe had worn off on the camshaft.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Some of the 15hp Kohlers have hydraulic valves....thus no cleanance/\.

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Yes they have hydraulic lifters but you still have to set the valve lash at .003

KohlerProCV15ValveAdjustment.jpg

6. Scagmower48

Thanks Albery

right now I have zero valve clearence after I lapped the valves. So now i am going out to give it some clearence.

7. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

are you sure thats not a courge engine you have in that pic? never have i seen a 14 hp comand that had adjustable valve lash.

8. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Yes I am sure. This photo came from Kohlers web site for the 15 Command.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got six 15hp Kohler engines and none of them have that adjustment:confused: Guess there are different model?

10. Scagmower48

well they don't have an adjustment but you can file away some of the material off the valve stem to make up for 15 years wear and tear. I did this and it did not make a difference. Its the governor thats giving me trouble. Going to the dealer tommorrow to get a new 17hp kawi 48 scag for $3299. Im looking forward to this. I'll fix this machine when work slows down and it will become my back up mower.